Hi,

I need to have numbered headings, for example:

1.0 Heading 1

1.1 Heading 2

1.1.1 Heading 3

2.0 Heading 1

2.1 Heading 2

2.1.1 Heading 3

I need to apply this new style to all the headings currently in use.  I edited an existing heading style by selecting the autonumber button on the styles box.  I created the number to be:  <x> (for heading 1) and <x>.<x> (for heading 2) and so on.  I also selected Decimal numbering.

I applied the updated styles and everything looks perfect except I can't figure out how to get subsequent files to continue numbering.  The first heading in a new file always begins with 1, regardless of its heading level.

I'm familiar with numbered lists and regularly use the "restart numbering" feature. I was looking for some option like that but I must be missing something because I'm trying to make a numbered paragaph style.  Out of desperation, I even right-clicked on the numbered heading and selected List Style, only to find "restart numbering" was NOT selected.   

I know this question has been asked before (I searched) but I wasn't able to find the answer.

thank you so much!

Robohelp 11.0.4.291, Webhelp

On a side note: These files were imported into RH from Frame and contained Frame numbered headings.  The numbered headings converted to regular text because I had to apply an existing css to the files for continuity across publications.  It's too late to go back and re-import the files now - I've done way to much messy work/clean-up on the converted files!  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Sorry but numbering in RoboHelp only works within topics.

For printed documents numbering from start to finish makes sense. For online help the user can start anywhere and go anywhere so it makes less sense.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but numbering in RoboHelp only works within topics.

For printed documents numbering from start to finish makes sense. For online help the user can start anywhere and go anywhere so it makes less sense.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you.  I see your point about it having little sense, but.... in my case if a user jumps around within the document, it would be helpful to know they've moved to a different topic/subtopic and what that main topic is (yea, breadcrumbs, I know..).

I'll have to remove the numbered text and then add it back in the Word -> PDF doc, because actually, the PDF is the main output,  and I'm just using RH for its ease of authoring and linking ......... <choke, did I just say that?>

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot map heading styles but if you map to a template that has numbered heading styles built in, it should automatically give you what you need in print. I haven't used numbering for a long time but I believe that is possible.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it can be done.  In fact, I already map to numbered Word headings for a different RH document.

I was just wondering if I could start out that way in RH...

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I always like to take the jet when I'm going to the grocery store myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, me too. However, it's better than walking to the grocery store....slowly...and getting lost along the way.

The issue was that the PDF deliverable should behave like an online document (.....I know), and it was doable in Frame until the document kept growing and the number of bookmarks and links was becoming very unmanageable and sloppy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - you said:

The issue was that the PDF deliverable should behave like an online document (.....I know), and it was doable in Frame until the document kept growing and the number of bookmarks and links was becoming very unmanageable and sloppy..

I'm actually surprised to hear that about frame. While I'm a big ole self-admitted Frame ignoramus, I always understood that where many things like Word will fall on its knees, wheeze and collapse, Frame handles massive amounts of information with aplomb.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, don't get me wrong......Frame is great.  I worked exclusively with Frame for about 9 years and I had no issues because our deliverable was a bound paper book.  Very easy and friendly to work with...

To use Frame to generate a PDF document that behaves like an online document is a little difficult and inefficient, in my opinion, without using something like a Project Manager.  There were many o'times were I said..."didn't I make a bookmark for this....?" as I scrolled through files looking for the content, then placing my mouse over the bookmark to read its name....then going to the new file to create a link, then applying a hypertext style to the word.  I know you can create lists to list all references of a file and such, but really.....it just didn't work for me like I had hoped.  Maybe I had the workflow all wrong......who knows....

In the end, my argument to deliver this product online may win anyway and I've just saved myself a lot of work down the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, color me perplexed.

"To use Frame to generate a PDF document that behaves like an online document ..."

I'm not sure I comprehend why one would want a PDF that would behave like an on-line document. Why would that be preferable to say, Responsive HTML 5 or WebHelp output? What am I missing?

I know that for me, personally, given the choice I'll ALWAYS desire something HTML based if I'm viewing on the screen. I hate being forced into the "PDF Box" for viewing information. Are you saying your users expect or actually prefer PDF?

Note that I'm not saying you are wrong, nor am I attempting to coax you into considering other options. I'm just puzzled about it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four words:  It wasn't my decision.

"yes, a PDF...yes, with links....yes, bookmarks..........no, a PDF only, and it needs to look like that other online stuff....."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL

Four. VERY. DREADED. Words!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp