Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch compile spotty in RH 2020v3

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just finished converting a large project that has 43 separate projects in it.

This is output into three regions of the UK, so that's 129 times it has to compile.

So I've create a batch file, as I did with RH Classic. 

Only, it works sometimes, and not others. I think I've had it twice run through the first region, and never through the second and third all the way through. It might work after a reboot-- or not. It fails at different points. Some were explained by mistakes I made in the batch file, some not.

I've split it into three batches, it will still not work reliably. Most of the time it just hangs...suggesting that RH has crashed in the background.  This morning, for example, on a freshly started laptop, it got four projects in before coming to a halt mid-topic.

They will compile from the project, though I'm going to tediously run through them again to see if there are any issues, but as it will go right through occasionally, I'm guessing it's just RH crashing. I'm not running RH while running the batch, either.

Basically, it isn't working. 

This is a sample of my batch from one region:

@echo off

cd "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2020"

RoboHelp.exe --cl "C:\1TechAuthoring\ALB\300\Help_3.3.0\Master\ALB_Master.rhpj" -o Responsive -p "C:\1TechAuthoring\ALB\300\Output\Help\EWNI"

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Nicola

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need a batch file. Configure all your presets so that they generate correctly. After that look in the top right corner when you are in Outputs mode and click Quick Generate. Select the top check box to select all the presets and click Generate.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That won't work. There are 43 separate RH projects, not presets. They are all one large Responsive system.

So I would still have to go into 43 separate projects to compile the help. Unless it does it over separate projects? That's a feature I could get behind!

And I'd have to create presets for them all, which is ok, (currently most share) but what about when a version number changes? Then I'd have to go through all 129 to change it. 

If they are removing the batch capability, then that's fine. But they don't appear to be, and it should work.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Nicola 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! You mean Command Line Generation rather than Batch Generation. I'll see what I can find out.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use a batch file to generate the help.

Thanks, I hope they can work this one out.

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been suggested that you add a delay of say 20 seconds between each output.

If that doesn't help, then try Support. See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your support contact options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried adding TIMEOUT /T 30 between each compilation...and it after about 3/4.

I then tried TIMEOUT /T 100, and it worked! Once. When I tried again, it failed about 1/3 of the way through.

I thought perhaps I should reboot after each try, so I waited until this morning, and it failed after only three projects.

I might try a longer timeout and see what happens, but I'm not hopeful. I'll also log a case, thanks.

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have learned there is a bug logged for this. I don't have more than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be me 🙂

Thanks Peter, I've increased the time to 200 seconds between each compilation, and cut down the amount of projects I compile in each batch file, and it sort of works. I'm going to try a 500 rest half-way through to see if it gives it more time to work, but as it now takes all day to just do 1/3 of the projects due to all the waiting, it'll have to be tomorrow now!

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicola,

This bug was there and has been resolved in update 4 of 2020 release. We are still little more than a month away from the release. If you are part of prerelease program then you can try the latest beta build there.

Thanks,

Vivek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic! I'll look forward to that then!

Thanks,

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope already logged internally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: on another thread, https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/robohelp-2020-command-line-compiling-gets-jammed-randomly-al...  there is a partial solution being offered. Basically you create a batch file that shuts down RH between compilations.

However, in my situation, with 41+ projects, it's still failing at about the 3/4 point. So, roughly 30/41 (it varies). 

It also means you cannot do anything with RH while it is running.

Hopefully release 4 will help.

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicola,

Can you share with me the exact batch files so that I can have a better look at what's happening? 

Regards,

Mayank Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AdvancedHelp Send the file to me and I will relay it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Update 4 for 2020 has solved the issue with the command line compilations. 

I did two test runs yesterday (twice because one project failed to compile-- my error), and it produced all 120+ projects without failing.

Thank goodness, there's a new release coming out soon and I didn't want to spend a week compiling them!

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad the show is on the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for bumping an old issue, but this one exactly describes the issue we're having.

This issue was indeed fixed in RH2020 update 4, as mentioned by Vivek Kumar. However, there appears to have been a regression in a later update. The problem occurs in both RH2020 update 8 and the most recent release of RH2022 (2022.0.346). I didn't test the intermediate versions between updates 4 and 8. Reinstalling RH2020 update 4 solves the problem.

Unfortunately the problem is hard to reproduce, as the command line compiler appears to hang at random moments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd contact the RH folks - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.
Then they can see if it needs logging as a bug in the Tracker (https://tracker.adobe.com/).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a memory leak issue. As a workaround, you can create a multiple batch file of not more than 2 to 3 output preset generations with command exit statements. This way memory will keep releasing and this issue will not occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support was able to reproduce the problem, and they said they will look into it. The workaround mentioned above does not work for me, unfortunately.

For reference: the last version where the command line generator works as expected is RH2020 update 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a memory leak issue. As a workaround, you can create a multiple batch file of not more than 2 to 3 output preset generations with command exit statements. This way memory will keep releasing and this issue will not occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matthijs Kool I understand Support are in touch with you. When resolved please confirm how.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the help of Support I was able to resolve the problem. They acknowledged it is a bug and it will be fixed in an upcoming release. I'm not sure I can share the workaround they provided, so they will have to do that themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand from Adobe that this issue was fixed some time back but then it reoccurred for some users. A further fix is being tested.

Hopefully that will be built into an update soon. Meantime anyone else should contact Adobe Support. See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp. 

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp