Blank pages and script errors with WebHelp output

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am running RoboHelp 2015 (12.0.4.460) and Framemaker 2015 (13.0.5.547) on Windows 10.

My output is WebHelp, so when I press F1 on a page in my product, I get a blank page. I decided to just try to regenerate my project, then place the help files in the product. When I click F1 again, I get a script error (whutils.js). When I click Yes or No to continue running script errors, the first page of my help appears (not the proper screen for the page on which I click F1). I have read some previous posts but some of those solutions have not helped. I did talk to Adobe support and they think it's a developer/code issue with the product. I'm puzzled because first a blank page would appear when I clicked F1, so when I regenerated the project, plunked the files in the product's Help folder, and clicked F1 again, I get script errors. So I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jackie

Views

364

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Blank pages and script errors with WebHelp output

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am running RoboHelp 2015 (12.0.4.460) and Framemaker 2015 (13.0.5.547) on Windows 10.

My output is WebHelp, so when I press F1 on a page in my product, I get a blank page. I decided to just try to regenerate my project, then place the help files in the product. When I click F1 again, I get a script error (whutils.js). When I click Yes or No to continue running script errors, the first page of my help appears (not the proper screen for the page on which I click F1). I have read some previous posts but some of those solutions have not helped. I did talk to Adobe support and they think it's a developer/code issue with the product. I'm puzzled because first a blank page would appear when I clicked F1, so when I regenerated the project, plunked the files in the product's Help folder, and clicked F1 again, I get script errors. So I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jackie

Views

365

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 02, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps you are just oversimplifying for the sake of trying to be brief, but hopefully you are aware that much has to happen in order to make the F1 keypress actually open the correct help topic.

You may need to define a window and assign attributes

You need to establish the protocol that will be used. For example, are you using Map IDs? Or simple URLs? Either way will require closely working with the developer of the app or the web page that is summoning the help.

If your protocol is to use Map IDs, you then need to carefully work with the developer to establish the IDs being used and sent by the app or web page and ensure those IDs are correctly mapped to the topic.

Hopefully you see from this that there are likely many questions to be answered before anyone hanging out here will be able to assist in any meaningful way.

Cheers... Rick

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Mar 02, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably if you open the help direct rather than via your product, the help works OK?


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Mar 03, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is correct.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Mar 03, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does confirm the issue is as Adobe and Rick have suggested is with the

call itself.

Whilst knowing that doesn't solve the problem, it does at least let you

know the right place to look.

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Mar 03, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A solution has been found - sorry I didn't post sooner.

It seems like RH was adding a "-" to the end of filenames when WebHelp was generated, so our products code contained the same to mimic the filenames. But it seems the "-" went away but our code still had it.

All is good in the world again!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Mar 09, 2017 0