• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book Topic content not showing in Word

Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

I have a separate TOC for Word output. All my topics are shown in it that I want in the word doc. Some of these topics are books with links in the TOC with further topics nested below them.

The issue is that the content from the books is not showing in Word, just the heading. I've got some conditional build tags on content within those topics, but that is only on specific content.

My TOC looks like this.

Topic 1 - should have content but only shows the title.

Topic 2 - shows title and content.

Topic 3 - should have content but only shows the title.

Topic 4 - should have content but only shows the title.

Topic 5 - shows title and content.

When running through the generate options, I'm moving my TOC in to the Chapter Layout, removing the topic shown directly under the book so it isn't shown twice in my word doc. All this is OK. If I don't do this, I get the topic/heading coming through twice in Word, but I do at least get my content albeit only once from the extra topic I would normally remove in the chapter layout.

Thanks,

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can recreate this in a small project I will take a look. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

You haven't said which versions of RoboHelp and Word you are using. It shouldn't matter but best that I test with the same.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - recreated in a basic project and sent you an email with a download link.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your original post you showed:

Topic 1 - should have content but only shows the title.

Topic 3 - should have content but only shows the title.

Topic 4 - should have content but only shows the title.

In the project you sent me it shows

Topic 1 - only shows the title.

Topic 3 - shows title and content.

Topic 4 - only shows the title.

Topic 6 - only shows the title.

Topic 7 - shows title and content.

That is correct so let me explain. Topics 1, 4 and 6 are books with links and you are expecting to see the linked topic content. It used to work that way but typically the online help will have Topic 1 as a linked topic to the book and as a topic within the expanded book. That works fine online as a user can click the book and see Topic 1 straight away and then has the list of topics to navigate within the book. What used to happen though was that we got lots of people posting that topics appeared twice in Word. That was precisely because the topic was linked to the book and showed separately. In TOCs for print layouts any linked topics are deliberately ignored and topics have to be shown in the TOC.

In the project you sent me, it needs to look like this.

printTOC.png

In short, topics linked to books in the TOC will not print, only the book name will appear.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, thanks for looking at the project I sent you. The structure in the sample project was simply to illustrate the point.

I've set my TOC for print and the generate settings to look as you've suggested. I have removed the book with link as well as there doesn't seem any point in using it on printed TOCs.

How do I then get rid of the headings being repeated? If I follow and set my TOC as you've said I get headings repeated in my word doc and my heading structure is no good because the topic with the content sits at the same levels as the nested topics. 

So now my word doc is:

One - heading only

One - heading with content

Two - heading with content

Three -heading with content

Four - heading only

Four - heading with content

and so on...

Thanks,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The heading in print is the title of the book, not the heading of Topic One. One solution would be to change the book to something like Chapter One or something that covers all the topics in the book, Manual Methods for example.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I want to avoid chapter headings as I want to have some content in these headings to explain to readers what they are going to be looking at, I don't want to use intro topics for what is likely to be just a few sentences in many cases.

I've set conditional build tags on the head text in the topic and that looks to more or less do the trick so far. Long winded but it gets the job done. I'm sure RH8 never had this issue and books with links worked. I just want my print documentation structure to be the same as my online.

This has thrown up a new issue though. The TOC structure being built in Word does not show the 'books' from RH when it is building the TOC. When I build a new TOC in word, the correct structure is shown. When I select to update the TOC that RH has built, nothing changes.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you don't want intro topics but books can only link to topics so I am lost as to how you planned to make this work. You had linked the books to a topic which typically would be something to explain what else is within that book. Nothing has changed here since RoboHelp 8.

I think what you are saying in the last paragraph is that if you change the TOC it does not reflect in the printed document. No it does not and never has. When you first create a print layout, it takes the TOC as it is then. If you make changes you have to update the copy that is in the print layout. Using the chevrons is the easy way. See Printed Documentation on my site which explains the whole set up in detail. The Rh11 version remains valid for Rh 2015.

The TOC in Word is dependent on you using Heading styles.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is that I do not want to have 'Topic 1' but that showing no content so I then move that content to an intro topic.

OK, so either I do not understand or I'm not explaining myself.

This is my issue.

I create a TOC for print in RH that contains 'books with links' that link to topics. No matter how I try, I either get no content with the 'book' in Word, or I have the topic heading repeated twice. From what you've said this is because the book is a chapter heading, and then the topic is repeated below based on the TOC topics selected when going through the word generate wizard - and if I remove that repeated topic, I get no content but I still get the chapter heading. This I understand. But I do not like it. I want the content, I want the book linked to the topic to give me the heading at the correct heading level (I have used heading styles correctly, and everywhere) but I do not want the topic heading shown again in the Word doc.

So far my output gives me either the following:

topic 1 - 'book with link' but no content in word.

topic 2 - normal topic, shows content.

topic 3 - 'book with link' but no content in word.

topic 4 - normal topic, shows content.

OR

topic 1 - 'book with link' but no content in word.

topic 1 - normal topic, shows content, but it is a repeated heading.

topic 2 - normal topic, shows content.

topic 3 - 'book with link' but no content in word.

topic 3 - normal topic, shows content, but it is a repeated heading.

topic 4 - normal topic, shows content.

The only way I can get it to work is using the 2nd output set and putting conditional build tags on the topic headings. Not ideal. The latest problem of a TOC that is not structured is still confusing me. I have set H1,2,3 styles on my topic headings, that same structure is shown in the print TOC and in the Word generate wizard but not what I get in Word. 

Thanks,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's assume the two books are to cover topics relating to Meat and Dairy.

Create a book called Meat and a book called Dairy. Do not link any topic to the books. They are simply placeholders.

Then put the intro topic for each section below the book followed by the topics with the detailed content.

That will give you something like:

MEAT (That will print in the document but it will not have the same name as Topic One)

Topic One (Your brief into)

Beef

Lamb

DAIRY

Topic One (Your brief into)

Milk

Cheese

Nothing repeated and the document has the intro text that you want just once.

Isn't that it?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem. Having the heading meat, then followed by 'topic one' is what I do not want. I want the content from topic one to show under meat, or I want topic one to be the main heading. So far I'm using the structure in the same way you've shown, I've just had to put a conditional tag around the 'topic one' heading so when looking at the Word doc you do not see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conditional tags are for situations like this so that you can have different content in different outputs. You are not doing anything wrong. Indeed, you are doing the right thing.

Assuming the topics are used elsewhere, that is the only option. If they are not used elsewhere you could simply not have a heading in Topic One.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Any ideas why my books in my TOC are not being shown in my Word toc? Like I said, when I rebuild the TOC is word everything is fine but the one built on generation is not showing books/chapters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So generate from Rh and the book title is missing, rebuild the TOC in Word and it gets corrected, correct?

I have seen a similar thing where the page numbers are wrong until you update the TOC in Word but unfortunately I am not aware of any solution.

See if the same occurs when generating using the CSS option and when generating to a Word template. I don't think it will make a difference but worth a shot.

Otherwise I think you will have to live with that. The difficulty is not the work involved but remembering to do it.

Please follow this link and report it as a bug. The more people who do, the more likely it is to get investigated. You can also use the link to request new features.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp