Highlighted

Can I add a custom button to email the topic page?

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m trying to add a custom button to a responsive HTML5 layout, and trying to use the script referenced here in the Javascript code:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/how-can-i-add-a-button-to-email-a-link-to-the-current-topic/...

Here's the code I enter:

window.location=('mailto:someone@theirdomain.com?Subject=Useful Information&body=This page might help: ' + window.parent.frames[1].frames[1].document.title +' ' + escape(window.parent.frames[1].frames[1].document.location))

But each time I save the skin, the name of the new custom button reverts back to "button3" and the code I pasted into the OnClick field disappears. 

code.png

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Peter and I spoke, and his advice is what worked - the Javascript field for the custom button won't stick unless you completely remove what was there before and then paste in an entirely new string of text. As long as I've done that, it appears to save my changes.

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can I add a custom button to email the topic page?

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m trying to add a custom button to a responsive HTML5 layout, and trying to use the script referenced here in the Javascript code:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/how-can-i-add-a-button-to-email-a-link-to-the-current-topic/...

Here's the code I enter:

window.location=('mailto:someone@theirdomain.com?Subject=Useful Information&body=This page might help: ' + window.parent.frames[1].frames[1].document.title +' ' + escape(window.parent.frames[1].frames[1].document.location))

But each time I save the skin, the name of the new custom button reverts back to "button3" and the code I pasted into the OnClick field disappears. 

code.png

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Peter and I spoke, and his advice is what worked - the Javascript field for the custom button won't stick unless you completely remove what was there before and then paste in an entirely new string of text. As long as I've done that, it appears to save my changes.

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the button name problem but that shouldn't affect it working. I cannot replicate the problem of the code going AWOL but it's not the right code.

See this post in the other thread. Try that and see if it sticks with the right code.

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This took care of it. You're right, the button name changes, but it doesn't affect funcitonality.

Do you happen to know if there's way I can include in the body of the email the entire URL?

I did a little experiment with the code below, but then the toolbar button didn't work at all.

window.location.href = "mailto:someone@somedomain.com?subject=User Guide Topic&body=" http://www .ourdomain.com/"+rh._.hashParam('t'); return false;

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, which skin and do you have all updates applied. You should be on 2019.0.12

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I can't help you with that one. The full URL on the end users machines could be different unless you host the help on your web server. I think the URL was designed that way so that in the email you know where to look in the project. That works for everyone rather than just where the help is on a web server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer: I know enough to get myself in trouble without any read idea what I'm doing. And all of this seems to be undocumented. So I'm just shoving stuff in until something looks right in a specific situation. 🙂

But, you could try this and see if it works:

window.location.href = "mailto:someone@somedomain.com?subject=Issue in topic&body=Topic path is " + rh._.parentPath() + rh._.hashParam('t'); return false;

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly it works but what you get is the path where the help is installed. If the help is installed on client servers I can't imagine their IT guys being too happy with that. I am also not seeing how that helps when you get the email as the only bit that helps is what the earlier code gives.

The code does give the correct link if the help is accessed from there by all users so nice work on that Amber. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0