• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a Merged Help out of two existing Projects?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an existing RH11 Project (Project A) that is on RoboHelp Source Control.  It is called up within the software that it is written for .  My company developed an add-on software to the original software.  I have about 30% of Help for the add-on (Project B) completed but it is not in Source Control.  The developer just informed me that the Help file needs to be one Help. ( I did ask this question in the beginning).  Is there a way for me to create a Merged Help project out of the two existing Projects and have it in Source Control?  I have created Merged Help before so I have some familiarity with it. I have Peter Grainge's RoboHelp authoring site bookmarked.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

We need to know what the developer means by "one help". Merged help is two or more projects, each with their own output that can be called independently but can also be presented to appear as on output.

If that satisfies the developer's stipulation, then yes you can set up your existing projects to do that. The parent as described on my site would be empty and your two projects would be the child projects. Each would be in source control.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to know what the developer means by "one help". Merged help is two or more projects, each with their own output that can be called independently but can also be presented to appear as on output.

If that satisfies the developer's stipulation, then yes you can set up your existing projects to do that. The parent as described on my site would be empty and your two projects would be the child projects. Each would be in source control.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response:  The developer maps each screen in our software to a page in the Help system.  If we transition Project A ( published and mapped)  into a child in a new Merged Help Project will all the existing links in Project A break because the relative path will change?  Will they all have to be re-mapped?

If this is so, does anyone have a workaround?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the calls are URLs, then yes they will need to be remapped. However, it will be a case of removing the first part of the URL that is common to all the URLs and then adding a new part that will be common.

I wonder if your developer can do that with a mass find and replace it might not be too painful.

The only other option is to import into the first project all the topics that are in the second project, when they will then be broken.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp