• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a topic hierarchy in the Project Manager pod or do I need to rely on the TOC?

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can I create a topic hierarchy in the Project Manager pod or do I need to rely on the TOC? I am using RoboHelp 9 (although I doubt the version matters).

Thanks,

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Hi Mary

The way you do this is by creating folders in the Project Manager, then either create new topics inside the folders or move existing topics into the folders.

If you are working exclusively in the Project Manager, you are only able to move a single topic at a time. If you want to move a swarm of topics, open the Topic List pod and you are able to select as many as you want. Then drag the selected topics to the folder over in the Project Manager pod. Be a bit careful when dragging. Often, th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s a “topic hierarchy” look like & where do you want to see it? Just askin’ ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing that you are being facetious. Not funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Are you serious? If so, please be specific. Although I doubt that you are.

By the way, this (Project 'pod' topic hierarchy) is easily accomplished in Flare - without the need of extra folders. Please note my response to the Correct Answer. The answer which I had figured out - and was hoping RoboHelp had an alternative.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mtcn3 - sorry, just had never heard the term "topic hierarchy" used within RH. Most of my projects are FM imports, so they automagically get "structured" when they appear within RH due to the book and chapter content that FM maintains. For the one project that I author directly in RH, I just sort of naturally created folders in the Project Manager to help keep the topics straight in my mind (they echo the structure of the application being documented). How does Flare accomplish this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary

The way you do this is by creating folders in the Project Manager, then either create new topics inside the folders or move existing topics into the folders.

If you are working exclusively in the Project Manager, you are only able to move a single topic at a time. If you want to move a swarm of topics, open the Topic List pod and you are able to select as many as you want. Then drag the selected topics to the folder over in the Project Manager pod. Be a bit careful when dragging. Often, the mouse will pass over a tab at the bottom of the pod and it may change views on you.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh, who knew that I had topic hierarchies in my projects & I didn’t even know it ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick.

That is actually what I did - create folders and move topics into them. I also created a TOC - for a more streamlined navigation through the online help. (Otherwise, the folder names appear in the navigation, which is 'clunky'.) I suppose the TOC is also used for the creation of PDF output, although I am not sure. Anyway... it works... and I have a topic hierarchy - in my Project 'pod' and TOC.

Much appreciated,

Mary  

P.S. Too bad there isn't an easier method of making a topic hierarchy in the Project. This can be accomplished in Flare without the need for extra folders. Oh well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp