• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can I delete chm temp files without messing up my project?

Participant ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge project containing 33 folders and around 20,000 htm files. I build a chm file and there's a duplicate of every file in the chm temp folders. If I try to do a search on the entire project, it searches those folders too. I'm wondering if I can delete those temp files without screwing up my project. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Hi there

Anything with Temp in it is subject to clobbering. You should be fine.

I believe RoboHelp creates these prior to compiling the CHM. It *SHOULD* be cleaning them out once finished, so there may need to be some investigation that occurs as to why they are being left behind. Unless, at some point the process is failing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they in the help output folder (like \!SSL!\output_type\)? If so, they get wiped each time you generate the help anyway, so you could blow them away or move them someplace else if you wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they are in the root.

folders.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, don’t work with CHMs, so I don’t know if that folder can be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Anything with Temp in it is subject to clobbering. You should be fine.

I believe RoboHelp creates these prior to compiling the CHM. It *SHOULD* be cleaning them out once finished, so there may need to be some investigation that occurs as to why they are being left behind. Unless, at some point the process is failing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting. I checked my folders and I don't have any sort of temp folder. I generate a .chm file as well, although I only have 280 .htm files.

However, I did just generate a new .chm to see what happened in my !SSL!/Microsoft_HTML_Help folder. While the .chm was generating, the !chm_tmp_folder_0 display. Once the .chm was completed, the temp folder went away.

Do you have your .chm output generated to your root directory? In RoboHelp, are you seeing "Compilation complete." in the Output View pod?  It almost makes me think that the compilation isn't complete. (Or that errors may have occurred.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"displayed"... I hate it when my mind goes faster than my fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well now I'm wondering if I have a new problem. I built the chm file yesterday and I do NOT get a Compilation Complete message. However, when I check the chm file, all my changes are there. I'm going to take a closer look at the output window today and see if I can tell what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp