• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I hide an existing topic from view in TOC and Search?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen several approaches on this forum for ways to create a help topic and mask it from specific users, or from everyone except via a link.  However, all those approaches seemed to require creating the help topic in a specific way.  We have a situation where the topic already exists, and we would like to hide it from all users temporarily.  The existing topic is out of date and needs to be revised, but we are unable to revise it until some decisions are made by administrators.  In the meantime, we don't want people misled by the old procedures.  Is there a simple solution for this?

Many thanks in advance.

Amelia Ketzle

Business Intelligence & Technical Services

SIU Foundation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

There are various routes but assuming you are not using the new 2019 version, go to Edit > Pod > Conditional Build Tag. Create a new tag called Exclude or similar.

Then go to the Topic Properties and apply that tag.

In your output create a new Build Expression. Select Exclude and then generate.

You should no longer be able to access that topic.

It will automatically be hidden from the TOC but any cross topic links will be broken.. To avoid that, you need to apply the tag to those links as well.

See www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email address removed for your protection.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just apply a conditional tag to the topic and then use a build expression to exclude the topic from the build?

When you can revise it, then remove the tag.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is where I betray my novice...I haven't used conditional tags or build expressions at all.  I'll have to look into how to do that.

Thank you for the response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are various routes but assuming you are not using the new 2019 version, go to Edit > Pod > Conditional Build Tag. Create a new tag called Exclude or similar.

Then go to the Topic Properties and apply that tag.

In your output create a new Build Expression. Select Exclude and then generate.

You should no longer be able to access that topic.

It will automatically be hidden from the TOC but any cross topic links will be broken.. To avoid that, you need to apply the tag to those links as well.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter.  I will try that!  I am on version 10, which I understand is very old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes but those features were there.

If your output is WebHelp, it may not render correctly in modern browsers. If it is a CHM, you should be fine.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp