• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I include different dynamic content filters in different outputs?

Participant ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using conditional build tags to create US and UK versions of my help. So I will have two outputs, one for each, and we will deliver the relevant one depending on the location of the user. I want our support team to be able to see both versions so they can be sure they are seeing the same help output as the user they are helping. I am already creating a third output for the support team, which includes all sorts of info marked with an 'internal' tag so I thought it would be nice to include dynamic content filters for UK and US so the support team can easily switch between language versions. But if I add these filters, I think they will show up for everyone. I only want them to show for the support team. How can I achieve what I want?

Using RH2017 (and new to it).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the beginning you say you are creating two separate outputs for US and UK users. There you are using a build expression to exclude certain content so that each user only see what is relevant to their country. No DCF is used.

For Support you would not exclude any content so no build expression, just filtering.

I am wondering if you are creating these outputs from one layout in the Output pod? If you are, the way to go would be to create two duplicates. Right click the layout to do that.

In one you have an expression to exclude US content, in the second you have an expression to exclude UK content and in the third you set up filtering.

Does that solve the problem?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes that does help, thank you. I was concerned that if I set up filtering in one output then it would appear in all outputs. But if you can choose different (or no) filtering per output then that's perfect!

I must confess I am getting very confused over the difference between outputs and layouts after reading the documentation. My understanding was that the output determines the types of files that are produced (webhelp, html5 etc) and the layout determines the look n feel of the content (blue search bar, orange text). But the terms seem to be used interchangeably in some of the Adobe tutorials so now I'm not sure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, there has been a bit of a mess with terminology.

Originally for webhelp there were skins, which controlled colours, toolbar buttons, etc. Then for HTML5 they called them "screen layouts". I continued to think of the screen layouts as '"skins". Or maybe "themes".

Then there was the Single Source Layout pod where you configured which bits of your project you want to include in your output, such as the "skin" to use, search configuration, start page and publish location. This has been renamed to Output pod, which makes more sense to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp