• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I write something once and use it in multiple topics?

Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm new to RoboHelp, and am wondering if this is possible... I have a bunch of topics where I list all the elements needed for XML messages 9one message per topic). Many of these elements (with their definitions) are used in many of the messages. This means that the same definition is shown in multiple topics. I would like to write each definition once, and and then shown wherever it's needed.

Also, many of the definitions include bullet lists, which I would like to show in two columns. I'm currently using tables to do this, but would prefer a better solution.

This is a new project, but I would like to incorporate it into our existing WebHelp system. But if there is a different output that would work better, we can consider that (though it would likely need to be a single file that we share with our customers).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You should investigate using Snippets. These are independent of your output and work with any output you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That looks really helpful!

Question: How do I create a new paragraph style and have it available in all my snippets? There's got to be some kind of "global" style that I can create, but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while for me, but I believe that snippets are styled based on the other elements in the CSS. I do believe you can specifically apply styling to them, but they generally just adhere to the basic styling of whatever CSS has been associated to the page they appear in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you create a CSS you can choose whether or not to apply a CSS. If you don't, then they take on the styles of the topic they are in. You really only need to apply a CSS to a snippet when you want them to use a different CSS. Maybe you want them to stand out and have different colours applied.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp