Exit

Changing a style from a paragraph to a list

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 10 - latest release.

Moderator Note. Later corrected to RoboHelp 2019 Update 10

In the CSS that I have inherited, I have three paragraph styles (list-bullet, list-bullet-1, and list-bullet-2) that ideally should be list styles so that I can get the type of indentation/wrapping in my bulleted lists. (The attached screen capture shows in the top graphic the way that a bulleted list wraps now and the bottom screen capture shows what I want. )

BulletComp.jpg

I mocked up this graphic to show what I want - I am not actually getting what I want no matter where I try to modify these styles. I give. . . . what do I have modify/where do I make these modifications to change these pargraph styles to a list style? 

In the inherited CSS, I have this:

p.Listing-bullet-1 {
margin-top: 6pt;
margin-bottom: 6pt;
margin-left: 15pt;
}
p.Listing-bullet-2 {
margin-left: 30pt;
list-style: disc;
}
p.Listing-bullet {
margin-left: 0pt;
list-style: disc;

And I thought that by changing the p to a ul, that should do the trick, but wonkiness (for lack of a better word) ensues. What is the difference between changing something directly in the CSS vs using the GUI to edit a style? From what I have seen, editing a style in the RH GUI does NOT translate to the actual physical CSS consistently and isn't a true WYSIWYG.  

TIA,

TVB 

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The editor is definitely not a true wysiwyg. It's "close" but not quite. RH10 is also super old and HTML and CSS have moved on a lot since the editor was written. It's also a moving target as the way browsers render the code can change over time, so what was once "close" might not be any more. 🙂

Having said that, I suspect at least some of the display issues relate back to how RH coded lists several versions before the one you are using. The p.style format doesn't contain all the coding necessary for the list or list item, it's only styling the p tag within the list item (approximately), so there should be other ol, ul and li styles defined.

I don't have RH10, nor the older version the p.style styling came from, but from memory you may need to combine the p.style formatting with a corresponding li.style. But, I can't remember exactly how that might react with the html code. If you can post the applicable css, and maybe a snippet of the html we can try it out and offer some advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad - I wasn't clear. It's version 10 of RH2019, not RH classic, so it is the latest and "greatest." 

Here's what I am running into:

If I make the changes to the paragraph styles in the actual physical CSS file, then I do NOT see the styles in the list of styles in the RH GUI. If I make the changes to the paragraph styles in the RH GUI, then I get just garbage in the actual physical CSS file, and I am going in circles.

What properties do I need to modify and where/how to get these paragraph styles changes to list styles and how do I get this information to synch properly between the actual physical CSS file and the list of styles that I see in the RH GUI?

Thank you!

TVB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your statement - but from memory you may need to combine the p.style formatting with a corresponding li.style

Yes, that does seem to be the case, but I can't figure out how to properly combine the two to accomplish this. I will post the CSS and HTML snippet later today for further assistance when I am back at my desk. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Amebr. You are also so responsive and helplful. Let me watch the video first and if that doesn't help, I will post my code for further assistance.

Thank you again.

TVB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote: "I currently have two paragraph styles for two different bulleted lists in my css. In the attached graphic, the top bulleted list shows how these paragraphs are wrapping - w/ the text underneath the bullet. As I understand it, to create a bulleted list that has the indentation that I want with the text wrapping underneath itself and not under the bullet (the second list in the attached graphic), I must also have a list style that corresponds to the paragraph style, for example:
p.Listing-bullet-1
ol.p.Listing-bullet-1
If this is a true understanding, what properties do I define for the paragraph style and what properties do I define for the list style?
If I have a completely incorrect understanding and need to set up my styles for bulleted lists differently, I would appreciate the assistance. I have searched the OLH for RH2019 and cannot find the information that I need.
Regards,
TVB"

From: https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/creating-a-bulleted-list-in-rh2019-version-10/td-p/10873641

The p isn't necessary and hasn't been for a very long time, however this styling may have continued if your project was upgraded through the ages, and that was the way the authors were used to working. If there was ever a guide to converting, it's long vanished off the internet.

If you can post the p, li, ol and ul styles related to your list, plus the html for a list, I can likely figure out what needs to change to modernise your code without requiring you to reformat all your lists.

Also look at the Robohelp Reimagined sample project, it's more useful than the online help. It links to a video about editing lists although I haven't watched it so can't say if it will help with your specific scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp