Highlighted

Chapter Titles in Master Page Footers

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a master page for PDF files. I want the header to display the manual name, and the footer to display the current chapter and page number. I notice there is a Chapter Title but I'm not sure how a "chapter" is defined.

My documentation was originally done in InDesign, then converted to Word to bring into RoboHelp.  My chapters ended up as a paragraph style called p.ChapTitle. But it's looking like there might not be a way to use this style as a placeholder.

Is there a way around it so that I can use this style? Or is there another way to designate a chapter heading somewhere?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Chapter Titles in Master Page Footers

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a master page for PDF files. I want the header to display the manual name, and the footer to display the current chapter and page number. I notice there is a Chapter Title but I'm not sure how a "chapter" is defined.

My documentation was originally done in InDesign, then converted to Word to bring into RoboHelp.  My chapters ended up as a paragraph style called p.ChapTitle. But it's looking like there might not be a way to use this style as a placeholder.

Is there a way around it so that I can use this style? Or is there another way to designate a chapter heading somewhere?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 16, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my apologies. RoboHelp 2020 is my version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the master page and click the {} icon on the toolbar.

image.png

You can then insert any of these fields into your master page header or footer.

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed your Ref_PDF master page already has a chapter title in it so perhaps I'm not following the problem. You insert fields and you can apply a style. If that doesn't cover it, explain a bit more.

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter!

The question I have is ... I have two styles that are not headings, they are paragarph styles:. p.SectionHead, and p.ChapTitle.  If I put the Chapter Title placeholder in my master document, it returns with blank results. 

So my question is ... what does RoboHelp expect to see to recognize when a chapter is a chapter?  Is it a particular style or heading?  I don't see any way for me to use my p.ChapTitle style in that Field chooser.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I have since noticed that my Section and Chapter styles are also not being picked up when the TOC is generated.  So I am suspecting that everything has to be heading styles for that. 

InDesign allowed you to add styles other than H1, H2, etc in the TOC, which is where these style names originated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0