Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Child Project Indexes

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2020.5.71

I am currently creating a parent project for the first time. I have added my child projects and all looks good except I would like to know if there is a way to use conditional tags to create separate indexes for each child project. They have all merged together. I have tried a few things but nothing seems to be working.

Thanks,

Chantal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Peter's site have anything to say about that? See grainge.org for a ton of RH resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked and couldn't find anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use parent/child projects, and so far, I've not found a way to create separate Indices or Glossaries, both of which would be tremendously helpful to me. I can live without an index because the search is so good, but I've had to make a topic to serve as the Glossary, because if words are defined in more than one child project, there are multiple Glossary entries for the same term if I let RH create it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long-time merged help author. 1 parent project with 11 child projects. Our doc team is currently using RH 2020.1, but I'm wrapping up testing for RH 2020.5 before we roll it out to the team. Our primary merged help output is HTML5, Azure_Blue skin. We incorporate basic filtering in the output - 1 filter for each child project (so 11 filter choices). In the RH 2020.5-generated output, when I select a filter, the index only displays entries for that project.

Followup notes:

1. It appears index filtering in merged output is broken in RH 2020.1 (at least for HTML5, Azure_Blue). 
  2. It appears glossary filtering in merged output is broken in RH 2020.1 and 2020.5 (again, HTML5, Azure_Blue). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is now mixed up. @ChaCha22 wants separate indexes and filtering is one solution. @RoboFan is getting only topics related to the filter applied and doesn't want that. However, that is how filtering is designed to work.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks yes I have tried multiple things and this just doesn't seem to be a function I can incorporate. I think I need to rethink my project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our team currently runs 2020.1. Index filtering is broken in that version. I'm testing 2020.5 before rolling it out to our team. Index filtering is NOT broken in the latest version (2020.5). As an aside, note that 2020.3 broke merged output (the reason we've waited to update until now). And perhaps this is an acceptable solution to what the initial poster is looking for. 

By default, our merged output combines all index entries from all 11 child projects.

In 2020.5, if any end user wants to view the index for 1 specific child project, they can simply select the Filter tab, select the child project filter, select the Index tab again, and all that's displayed is the selected child project's index (the other 10 child project indexes are filtered out/hidden/suppressed/not shown). Note: This IS what we want, and how I would expect it to work. So good job, Adobe, on fixing this in the .2, .4, or .5 update (whenver it happend).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks but this isn't working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What output type?
  2. What skin?
  3. Do you have a unique topic level condition tag created for each child project?
  4. Is each unique topic level condition tag assigned to each topic in its corresponding child project? (e.g., a hardware topic level condition tag is applied to every topic in the hardware project)
  5. Are the dynamic content filters configured in each child project identical (each project condition tag listed, identical order top to bottom, spelling, etc.)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everyone for your input -- in testing all the things you have suggested I accidentally came across the solution. I think the main issue was that in one of my child projects, the TOC topics were all listed in a section (folder). I think all the topics in the TOC have to be individually listed. I can't say for sure but this seemed to be what worked! (skin azure, html5, Version 2020.5.71)

Here were my steps and the outcome being: I filter a section (child project) and then only that index displays.

Parent Project – NO action or settings - do not create any conditional tags or dynamic content filters

Child Project

• Create conditional tag and apply to each individual topic
  • Create dynamic content filter and apply the tag
  • Edit output/content and ensure dynamic content filter is applied
  • Prepare TOC to generate
    • Ensure your child project topics are NOT in a folder or section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp