• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM not displaying content, only TOC, Index, and Search (RH 11)

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

I have a project created in RH 7 which I just converted to RH 11.  Have not worked on this particular project before.  WebHelp was generated with no issus (so far), but when I tried to generate a CHM, I see the TOC, Index and Search panes but no topic content displays when a topic is selected.  Where should I be looking to find out what the problem is?  I have not worked on this particular project - was created by another writer and I'm just taking it on.

Thanks for any help.

Diane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the CHM being accessed from a Network drive? If so, move it to the C drive and see if things improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it...thanks:)

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have just had a similar problem in Robohelp 10, and moving it to the local drive solved it, thanks!

My problem is that I need the generated docs to be available across the internal network, and when I copy the .chm file to the network the problem returns. 

Do you have any tips on how to address this?

Thanks very much.

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generate WebHelp and copy all the WebHelp files and folders to the network. Have everyone open the index,htm file.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply.

This hasn't worked for me, but I think there might be an error from this end, so I'll get my support guy onto it.

Thanks again.

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How hasn't it worked? Does the help not open at all? Does it open with a problem? Please provide more information. Could the issue be that the WebHelp is not on a web server?

The reason that CHMs do not work on a network is that Microsoft blocked that over ten years ago! See CHM Files Not Working.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your info regarding the "CHM files not working" history.

I have tried again, and have realised that the problem is that the index.htm file doesn't load - it gets stuck.

However, if I open a different .htm file from Windows Explorer, the Webhelp opens to that page and I can navigate my way around and use the WebHelp fine.

So, I have a solution to my problem, but a weird issue with the index.htm file not opening!

Thanks so much for your help.

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening the index.htm file from File Explorer in the same way as the topics and using different browsers?

Where is the help located when you try to open it?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried opening the index.htm file with Internet Explorer (I had been using Chrome), and have successfully opened it. IE also displays the contents pane which the Chrome browser didn't do.

Thank you! Your questions and pointers have been invaluable for future efforts.

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK so now we know the issue is with Chrome. Visit Willam van Weelden's site at http://www.wvanweelden.eu where Willam has posted a number of patches including some that he has developed.

Let us know whether or not that fixes things with Chrome.

If it doesn't, see if you have the same problem with the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp