Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

chm opens to search tab, not TOC

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all.

My .chm files open with the Search tab displayed, not the TOC. How do I correct this?

Thanks!

--Nancy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Hello again

You said:

That means that it is a brand new .chm. But it is overwriting the previous .chm. Maybe it picks up the previous status.

Indeed. There is a hidden file on your system that the HTML Help Viewer uses to track this information. So it won't matter how many times you generate the CHM, it will always remember that setting. One way past it is to rename the CHM file. From the Help Viewer standpoint, it's a new CHM and would then simply open with the TOC open.

You also said:

I will just

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy

How exactly are you opening the CHM file? If it's from an application, I believe your developer has control over how it opens.

If you are instead referring to double-clicking it, I believe the CHM viewer remembers what tab was opened last and presents that as the open tab when you close and re-open the CHM. If that's the case, the answer is to ensure the desired tab is in front before you close the CHM file.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick.

I'm double-clicking the .chm output from the SSL folder. In fact, I also opened it from the "View it now" button, or whatever it is, that you see when RH finished generating output.

That means that it is a brand new .chm. But it is overwriting the previous .chm. Maybe it picks up the previous status.

I will just make sure that the TOC is displayed before I send out the .chm, then.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

You said:

Indeed. There is a hidden file on your system that the HTML Help Viewer uses to track this information. So it won't matter how many times you generate the CHM, it will always remember that setting. One way past it is to rename the CHM file. From the Help Viewer standpoint, it's a new CHM and would then simply open with the TOC open.

You also said:

I will just make sure that the TOC is displayed before I send out the .chm, then.

And it's certainly not going to hurt anything to do that. But it's wasted effort. This is because that hidden file I mentioned earlier is different for each user. And even if you ensure the TOC is open when you close your CHM on your own PC, if an end user is simply replacing a CHM with a newer version, it will behave for them the same as it behaves for you. Meaning, if they had the CHM open at a different tab than the TOC, that's the tab they will get.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick.

Thank you for that additional explanation. It is really helpful.

This .chm will eventually be built into our software, which is run locally on the user's hard drive. Can our developer ensure that it opens with the TOC displayed?

Thanks again! You are a treasure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do believe the developer has the ability to control that behavior.

And... well, you know about that saying. One man's trash and all...

On a more serious note, I'm just happy I could help.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp