Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Build based on client name - RH 10

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I use Robohelp 10, and create a webhelp for our software product. All our clients are from the same domain. We now have increasingly started to encounter a situation where Client A uses different field names, sees a different set of fields or even uses a different version of our product than Client B. The webhelp is deployed as per the version of the software a client uses.

Is there a way I could use the conditional build tag to create a webhelp output that picks topics based on client names. (This might not be ideal as there might not be space on the server to host many versions of the webhelp!)

Or even if a topic is included in the webhelp, is there a way that it gets displayed only if the code indicates it is client A or B?

I would really appreciate any suggestions on the best strategy to be adopted here.

Thank you,

S Augustine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variables would enable you to create different outputs for different clients but each would need to access a different output. I think the first thing is to ascertain the number of outputs you can host. If insufficient some other solution has to be found, such as locally installed help for each client. That could be client machine based or on their intranet.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Perter. Server space is a definite concern and hence having different copies of the webhelp does not look like a solution. Also, access to client intranet would not work for most due to the nature of the domain.

I might have to stick with standard field names in the webhelp, and put in notes about variations.

Regards,

S Augustine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry Peter, not Perter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp