• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

contents of the .h file for context-sensitive help gets deleted on project update

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can you help resolve the following issue:

The contents of the h. file for context-sensitive help for one of my RH projects (from a linked FM book)  gets  deleted  every time I open the  project file, select the book,  and click Update All  or Force Update All in order to synchronize content with the source FrameMaker files.

This seems to me is a byproduct of the issue of all html topics being deleted upon project first update which is still the case for me with the latest RH patches, 7 months  after the issue was first  reported by me on the forums here  (https://forums.adobe.com/message/8697382or other users here https://forums.adobe.com/message/8355109#8355109  and here https://forums.adobe.com/message/8646307#8646307)

( In my project, the topics don’t simply disappear from view, but when  I click Update All, the Recycle bin gets filled with all 1300 + html topics)In other words:

Each time I make a content change to my FM files, I must update the RH project, which  in turn “empties” the .h file, which requires generating a new h file. I use "Automap topics option for the new h file, because I can't manually map 1300 topics +,. The new h file  is generated with new IDs, which do not match the IDs of the previous h file, so the Context sensitive help in the software does not work any more  and all topics must be rehooked , which is a very  time-consuming task 

More details

• I am using Adobe Tech Comm Suite 2015  on Win 7, 64-bit; just upgraded to latest version of RH (1404.460) and FM (1305.547)
  • If I update the contents of individual chapters, not the book, the .h file seems to be intact, NP (However, if there are any new or modified headings, I have a new TOC, so I can’t avoid updating the bk file in RH ) this is where the problems begin
  • I reported the issue of all html topics being deleted from RH project back in April when I was using FM 13.02.433 and RH 12.02.284). Adobe Tech support got a copy of my files, opened a case (number 0187734567) for this and another issue, had a live session reviewing my workflow, and  gave me the  workaround  of  clicking Update All  or Force Update All again to make all deleted topic re-appear ,
  • The solution suggested on the forum of deleting the cpd file did not work for me at the time and unfortunately does not work now
  • The three inconvenient by-products of RH deleting all topics upon book update for me are:

- Slow project update (RH takes time to delete all 1400 and regenerate all)

- Project properties must be redone after each update of content (they get wiped each time the RH project is reopened and updated)

- And now the third issue – the contents of .H file is  automatically deleted upon book update.

I did a number of tests with three different versions of my project.  As I already mentioned, the only scenario where the .h file is not being emptied  seems to be when there are no new or modified  headings in the source FM files; that is how the last release we managed to avoid re-hooking topics from scratch ( I copied an older bk file over the current bk file and each time updated each chapter individually by right-clicking and clicking Update). However, there is a new release at the end of the month with many changes and  I need a solution for the the map file issue ( and ideally for every aspect of this bug).

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the status of your bug report? Sounds like it's just busted & you're waiting for a patch to be issued by Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the follow up, Jeff. I contacted tech support via chat this morning and shared my screen with them. We went through my workflow to ensure I am not missing steps and they can re-create the problem.

Since I am using RH files created with earlier RH2015 version, they suggested I create a new project with the latest RH, relink book, etc. and create a brand new h file. We did that, but unfortunately, the h file contents still gets deleted. They were very thorough in trying different things, but in the end, they recommended I don’t update the book but just the individual chapters. Otherwise, they said the h file will be emptied each time. I do have new topics, xrefs, figures , tables this release, so updating the bk file is inevitable.; so, I don’t have a solution right now. However, I gave the heads-up to the developer that he must budget time for relinking the help topics in the app.

I know there are different ways to do CS help, and I don’t have the issue in the Webhelp, because the software is coded in C++ and I don’t need the H file.

In my current project, the app is coded in custom dev environment, so the only way to hook up the CSH ( I have been told) is through the numbers in the H file.

I am sure it will be eventually fixed in a subsequent release. I assume bugs are tackled based on statistics and I don’t know what percentage of users are experiencing the issue I have.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp