can you help resolve the following issue:
The contents of the h. file for context-sensitive help for one of my RH projects (from a linked FM book) gets deleted every time I open the project file, select the book, and click Update All or Force Update All in order to synchronize content with the source FrameMaker files.
This seems to me is a byproduct of the issue of all html topics being deleted upon project first update which is still the case for me with the latest RH patches, 7 months after the issue was first reported by me on the forums here (https://forums.adobe.com/message/8697382) or other users here https://forums.adobe.com/message/8355109#8355109 and here https://forums.adobe.com/message/8646307#8646307)
( In my project, the topics don’t simply disappear from view, but when I click Update All, the Recycle bin gets filled with all 1300 + html topics)In other words:
Each time I make a content change to my FM files, I must update the RH project, which in turn “empties” the .h file, which requires generating a new h file. I use "Automap topics option for the new h file, because I can't manually map 1300 topics +,. The new h file is generated with new IDs, which do not match the IDs of the previous h file, so the Context sensitive help in the software does not work any more and all topics must be rehooked , which is a very time-consuming task
- Slow project update (RH takes time to delete all 1400 and regenerate all)
- Project properties must be redone after each update of content (they get wiped each time the RH project is reopened and updated)
- And now the third issue – the contents of .H file is automatically deleted upon book update.
I did a number of tests with three different versions of my project. As I already mentioned, the only scenario where the .h file is not being emptied seems to be when there are no new or modified headings in the source FM files; that is how the last release we managed to avoid re-hooking topics from scratch ( I copied an older bk file over the current bk file and each time updated each chapter individually by right-clicking and clicking Update). However, there is a new release at the end of the month with many changes and I need a solution for the the map file issue ( and ideally for every aspect of this bug).
Any suggestions are welcome!
Copy link to clipboard
What's the status of your bug report? Sounds like it's just busted & you're waiting for a patch to be issued by Adobe...
Thank you for the follow up, Jeff. I contacted tech support via chat this morning and shared my screen with them. We went through my workflow to ensure I am not missing steps and they can re-create the problem.
Since I am using RH files created with earlier RH2015 version, they suggested I create a new project with the latest RH, relink book, etc. and create a brand new h file. We did that, but unfortunately, the h file contents still gets deleted. They were very thorough in trying different things, but in the end, they recommended I don’t update the book but just the individual chapters. Otherwise, they said the h file will be emptied each time. I do have new topics, xrefs, figures , tables this release, so updating the bk file is inevitable.; so, I don’t have a solution right now. However, I gave the heads-up to the developer that he must budget time for relinking the help topics in the app.
I know there are different ways to do CS help, and I don’t have the issue in the Webhelp, because the software is coded in C++ and I don’t need the H file.
In my current project, the app is coded in custom dev environment, so the only way to hook up the CSH ( I have been told) is through the numbers in the H file.
I am sure it will be eventually fixed in a subsequent release. I assume bugs are tackled based on statistics and I don’t know what percentage of users are experiencing the issue I have.