• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupted characters in Index and TOC for Romanian, Vietnamese etc

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues with corrupted characters appearing in the TOC and Index for non-English languages when I create a CHM. It works fine for Chinese and Russian and other languages but not for some less common languages such as Vietnamese.

The language settings are correct, but what are the other guidelines for these languages?

All characters appear fine in RoboHelp, but not in the generated CHM.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does this only happen for you on your end? Have you actually tested on a system that actually uses these languages?

Drawing from some distant memory here. It's been a few years since I've seen mention of it, but CHM files used to have issues displaying properly unless they were being actually viewed on a system with the operating system in that specific language.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Rick's reply, I think Item 9 at Snippets is what he is referring to.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm getting it tested now on a local OS but it should still display on any OS once compiled correctly, or that's what I've always though.

I did install the language packs and update the locale settings on the OS as suggested above. Other Asian languages (Chinese, Japanese etc.) display and function just fine.

The display issues appear to be limited to certain characters. For example, in Romanian it's only 'È›' and 'È™' which don't appear. So I wondering if it's to do with fonts and if there are recommended fonts for these languages for CHM files? I tried some unicode fonts but without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately viewing the CHM on the fully localized OS did not work. Any further help or advice appreciated.

Does RoboHelp fully support Vietnamese and Romanian characters in the HHC and HHK? I have searched but cannot find the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are in the list of languages so they should be supported. Try creating a webhelp output and see if you have problems with that. My thinking is that it is the Microsoft Help Compiler that is having the problem.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. You were correct, the WebHelp out looks fine but I still don't have a solution for the CHM.

I uninstalled HTML Help Workshop to see what would happen and I got this message:

The version I had was only 1.3 but I knew from working on a project years ago there was a 1.4 version - except I cannot find at the Microsoft website states:

Microsoft HTML Help Downloads (Windows)

All HTML Help downloads are now available from the Microsoft.com Download Center.

Note  The latest version of the HTML Help technology is 1.4, as is the SDK. The latest version of HTML Help Workshop is 1.3. As of June 2009 there is no HTML Help Workshop 1.4.

Any further help is appreciated. I am using all the recommended locale settings, although I'm not sure if the fonts should also be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is only the SDK that ever went to 1.4. You need the download on that page, which is 1.3 for the Workshop.

I have a feeling that people have seen issues when installing it that way rather than letting RoboHelp do it. Perhaps Rick can comment. That's just to get you up and running again with the compiler.

I doubt it will solve your problem once you are past that stage. I'm not really sure as I don't do CHMs but I think the issue will be that the compiler simply doesn't understand those languages. Remember, Microsoft last updated it in 2004. RoboHelp added support for these languages much later and, as you can see, it works in outputs that do not rely on the compiler.

Maybe ask on a general forum the forum of another authoring tool to see if others have the same issue outside of RoboHelp. If it can be pinned on RoboHelp rather than the compiler, then Support may have the answer.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing we do that helps when we build .chm files for different languages is in to set the system locale on the machine building the help to the target language locale. I don't know if you already tried that or not. (If you built the help in the target language operating system, I imagine that does the same thing.)

You can use Language Settings screen in Control Panel to change the system locale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp