• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a shaded row style for existing table?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited some projects with tables that use paragraph style in the first row, and it looks like shading was manually applied to the first rows. Now there's an accessiblity requirement to change the shading to a darker color. Does anyone have any specific details about how to set up a style with shading that will fill the row...without using a "TopRow" style? I took an existing TopRow style and tried editing it multiple times, but each time it caused me grief, as when I applied it to the first row, the dark fill was applied to all of the table and not just the first row. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Hi DeeMay,

If you apply the same definition or class to each table, you can accomplish this by defining the background-color element for your table's "heading" row.

If you use a thead element:

table.mytableclass thead tr td {
background-color: #58585b;
color: white;
}

or, if you use the <th> tag:

table.mytableclass tbody tr th {
}

Hope this helps! If you can post the HTML for a typical table, we might be able to help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the stylesheet with the "TopRow" style you mention? I can't see anything called that in RH2019, so I'd like to confirm exactly where you're looking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply,

My question has changed a bit since yesterday, since I'm realizing that no matter what table style I select, the resulting display likely isn't going to be what's desired when applied to an existing table with a variety of previously applied formatting. It appears the previous author used the "Convert to Header" option for the first row of the tables which then applies a gray background. (It seems the gray background might be a default RH setting?) I need to darken the background for accessibility reasons and I see that can be done in the background panel for th. However, rather than do this for every topic that has a table I'm wondering if there is something I could add to the style sheet being used for the project to yield a darker background for the header row across any tables with header rows--any suggestions on that? Would it be possible for a table header background color in a project style sheet to override what appears to be a RH default setting for table headers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DeeMay,

If you apply the same definition or class to each table, you can accomplish this by defining the background-color element for your table's "heading" row.

If you use a thead element:

table.mytableclass thead tr td {
}

or, if you use the <th> tag:

table.mytableclass tbody tr th {
}

Hope this helps! If you can post the HTML for a typical table, we might be able to help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I will give this a tyr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp