• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating accurate links from software to Help pages

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to move from WebHelp to Multiscreen HTML5. We created live test site to test/experiment with. We're still not clear on how to properly link from our software system to a Help page. Here's a little background:

1. With webhelp, linking is simple. But it doesn't seem to work the same with HTML5 - or should it? Every link has "desktop" added to it (and yep, desktop is the default.) But if I'm browsing on my iphone with Chrome or Safari, it also defaults to desktop. Should it change to "phone?"
  2. We link from our software system directly to Help pages. For example, if you're looking at our oranges page, we link to oranges in Help (but a whole lot more complicated than oranges!) Therefore, we need to update virtually our entire system with links to Help - and those links have to be right.

Other than this, we like the HTML site. Once we solve linking, we'll be ready to release to our customer base.

Thanks!

Julie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if Willam's site helps with the context call. Adobe's help on the HTML5 outputs seems to be pretty minimal:

http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/context-sensitivity-responsive-and-multiscreen-html5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amebr, this may help. I also had been using MultiscreenHTML5 as our primary; I'll switch it to ResponsiveHTML and see if it makes a difference in linking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updating. To resolve linking difficulties, change the format. For example

OLD LINK: http://website/webhelp/somethingextra.htm#topicname.htm

NEW LINK: http://website/html5/desktop/topicname.htm

There's a tool in RoboHelp that makes changes for you, but (of course) now I can't remember the name of the tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp