• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating cross references in RH 11

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm taking over an extensive HTML project with lots and lots of task topics. I see many places where a previous step is referenced and hard coded. I would like to create cross references that automatically update if I need to insert other steps. I don't see anything here or in RH help about creating such cross references. I suspect that I have to add a bookmark to the referenced step and then create a hyperlink to it. Is that the case? If so, how clunky that is. If not, please let me know how to create these cross references.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Hi there

It's rather dated, but the basic principles still apply here.

Click here to see an article about bookmarking

If you create bookmarks in the manner described, it's a simple matter to adjust where it appears.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It's rather dated, but the basic principles still apply here.

Click here to see an article about bookmarking

If you create bookmarks in the manner described, it's a simple matter to adjust where it appears.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was afraid of...clunky. I think I'll leave this process for a future update 'cause I sure have plenty to work on for now!

I'll mark yours as the correct answer, but will welcome other approaches.

Dimi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about something like "Select the name you created in step 2." and step 2 is the hard coded step number and hyperlink, I don't have an automagic solution.

What I try to do is avoid mentioning step numbers. So I would probably say something like "Select the name you created earlier in the procedure" or if it is in a different procedure "Select the name you created in 'This other procedure'." (Link on 'earlier in the procedure' (not ideal) or 'you created' (more descriptive) or 'This other procedure' (somewhat better).) And the hyperlink would describe the  step, 'create_name' for example.

It also sometimes requires restructuring some topics/procedures so you can more closely reference the bit of the procedure, so not a fast solution, but something to consider going forward.

The benefit is you don't have to update all the references to the steps, just make sure the bookmark sticks with the right step.

Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I would never do that in a book and probably won't in the help, but I appreciate the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give an example of what you're running into? I'm not visualizing what you're encountering & how you want to change it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, in the first post it would appear that there are topics with perhaps ten steps to follow. And perhaps step eight makes reference to say, step three with a hyperlink that points there when clicked upon by the user.

As I understood it, given this approach, if perhaps three more steps were inserted at the beginning, what was once step three now becomes step six.

Where things grow foggy is that it isn't clear if what is desired is for whatever the hyperlink is should be changed. For example, click here to visit step three (but now the wording needs to change to reflect step six) or if that same step is desired, but that the linking destination should "follow the step" as the additional three steps were inserted. (which it should if a bookmark is used)

At least, that's my own understanding.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is indeed that, for example, step 10 refers the user to step 6. If steps are added before step 6, which is hardcoded, the cross reference does not work. Therefore, when I attempt to update this sort of reference, I'll add a bookmark relative to the content of the step and reference it rather than typing a step number.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Dimi Mestier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to continue to thrash the deceased equine here, but when you say "hard coded", what exactly is meant by that?

I know we have been talking about bookmarks here, but I'm confused as to the reference of how something becomes hard coded.

Thanks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardcoded means typed rather than referenced. I've been a tech writer for a very long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean an absolute path rather than a relative path?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but please let's consider this question answered and the topic closed.

Thanks,

Dimi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I asked to clarify the point for the benefit of anyone else who has the

same problem later.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that scenario, I'd be using xrefs back to the step and talking about it like Amebr suggests (no explicit step# references) - like "As performed in this step - Beating the Eggs [link] - take the reserved egg whites and place them on the crust."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For stuff that's referenced over & over again, I've been using snippets - maybe that approach can work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that won't work here. I'll just have to go the bookmark route...or, for now, leave it alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp