Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating pop-ups and snippets in Robohelp 2019

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've worked with RoboHelp before but several years ago and not in RoboHelp 2019. I have looked at some of the tutorials and read about snippets, pop-ups, footnotes and more. Here is essentially what I would like to do and what I've tried. 

First of all, this project needs to have several outputs: PDF, browser help, and help on-board a medical device. The latter is quite complicated, but basically it is a modified version of the browser help with search and other functions disabled.

Now onto the stumbling block at hand. I have several tables that share the same set of footnotes. I would like to put in a link to each footnote in the table so a user would click on the link and see the footnote without having to scroll to the bottom of the table. It would also be ideal not to display the same set of footnotes ten times (at least in the web help version). However, in a print PDF version, we need to display the footnotes below each table.  Is it possible to put the footnotes in a snippet and conditionalize that snippet so that it only appears in the PDF version below each table and not at all in the help version. Secondly, for the help version, would it be possible to link to the snippet so that the snippet appears in a pop-up? I can get each single footnote to appear as a tool-tip, but some of the footnotes are too long for this format. I would prefer that they appear in an auto-sized pop-up window. But for some reason, I can't figure out how to link to a snippet in RoboHelp 2019. I have created the snippets and have browsed to the folder that the snippets are in, but they don't appear as linkable files in the Link editor. 

I'm sure this information is available somewhere already,  but I thought I would ask.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm if you are using RH2019 Classic or RH2019 New UI as the answers may be different depending on which one you use? Also include the full version number so we can see if you have the latest patches installed.

There's no footnotes feature in Robohelp 2019 Classic or New UI. Can you link what you read?

Can you explain more about adding the footnote as a tooltip? The only way I can find it to type in the code editor.

For both RH2019 Classic and New UI, you can't link to snippets as they are not "proper" html files. Instead, during generation, the content of the snippet is copied into each location where you insert the snippet. 

To get a different display for each output, conditions should work, but it could get a bit complicated and the steps to set it up would vary a little depending on the version of Robohelp you're using. Once you post more detail I'll see if I can write up my idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reponse. I believe you answered my question already. I was hoping that I could put the table footnotes in a file that I could link to. My first thought was snippets since they are repeated for multiple tables, and I would need to insert these after each table in the PDF format. However, I suppose I could create both a footnote topic and link to that for the pop-up effect I wanted for the web help version and also create a snippet that could be inserted after each table (and conditionalized I hope).  

For more detail, I am using RoboHelp 2019. I have downloaded all of the latest patches except for the very latest, which will not install on my system. I'm not sure why. 

I did not find the tooltips hard to create. All I did was create a link and type in the text in the screen text box. This is not a good solution for the longer footnotes. I am sharing a screenshot so you can understand a bit better what I was trying to do.

I could also link to my bookmarked footnotes as an option (you can see they are bookmarked in the screenshot), but I thought it was a better solution to pop-up the footnoted text and not display the same footnotes over and over. I also didn't want to display the footnotes only once and have the user jump up to a footnote that is not adjacent to the table they are using. 

Thanks again for the help. 

norasmart_0-1597243157203.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can download the latest version direct. https://www.adobe.com/support/robohelp/downloads.html

Snippets go into topics. Any topic can be opened as a popup. Not sure if that helps but maybe it gives you another option. A lot of people seem to think a popup is something different, it's only a popup if you open it as one.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp