Customize phone layout of multi-screen HTML5 output

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to customize the phone layout in the multi-screen HTML5 output. Rather than launching a home page with options for index, glossary, and toc, I'd like the home page to be the TOC. There will be no index or glossary, as this is for a very small app. I just want to provide some quick help on a few screens.

I saw the post regarding removing these elements from responsive html5, but I just want to remove them from the phone layout. I don't need all the multi-screens.

Does anyone know how to do this?

If not, do you have an alternative that will achieve the same goals?

Thanks so much!

--Amy

TOPICS
HTML5 layout

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Customize phone layout of multi-screen HTML5 output

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to customize the phone layout in the multi-screen HTML5 output. Rather than launching a home page with options for index, glossary, and toc, I'd like the home page to be the TOC. There will be no index or glossary, as this is for a very small app. I just want to provide some quick help on a few screens.

I saw the post regarding removing these elements from responsive html5, but I just want to remove them from the phone layout. I don't need all the multi-screens.

Does anyone know how to do this?

If not, do you have an alternative that will achieve the same goals?

Thanks so much!

--Amy

TOPICS
HTML5 layout

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 08, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I go into depth: is there a reason you want to go with Multiscreen HTML5 instead of Responsive HTML5? The Responsive is much easier to manage from an author's perspective. Even if you only plan on supporting mobile, I would recommend the Responsive and tinker with the break points so that your readers always see the Phone output.

The reason for my recommendation is that for changing Multiscreen HTML5, you will need to dive into the HTML and CSS of the layout. There is no WYSIWYG editor available. You may want to start out with the articles and webinars available here: Starting with HTML5 in RoboHelp | WvanWeelden.eu After that, please post any further questions you might have. Though, unless there is a very specific need to go for Multiscreen HTML5, I would like to once again advice you to look at the Responsive layout. (Or you can hire me and I can update the layout for you 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2016 1
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. You got me. Responsive HTML seems to have a lot more flexibility in the layouts. The reason I was going with multiscreen is because I really just want the phone layout. I also want the phone layout to start with the TOC page rather than the index page.

I downloaded your TOC layout from an earlier post and have modified the template to fit my my needs. I just cannot figure out how to get the TOC as the home page. If I choose my TOC file as the start page in Robohelp Output folder and start page, I sure enough get the TOC as the home page, but none of the links function properly, and then I get some weird TOC within TOC action happening.

The way I have it working is not terrible: I have a short blurb describing the app on my home page, and then the user can click the Contents; however, I see the user preferring to go directly to the TOC and get the topic he wants.

Any tinkering help would be appreciated! Thanks for your advice so far.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This TOC only layout is an RH11 layout. In that case, you best open the table_of_contents.htm file directly instead of the index.htm file. That will make sure the TOC gets displayed as you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam, just to clarify, do you mean the app will call the table_of_contents.htm files rather than the index.htm? Just want to make sure you don't mean changing the start page or default topic within Robohelp.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely. This is separate from the default topic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2016 1