Highlighted

Desperate for help with the skin editor

Explorer ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

I'm looking for detailed documentation of how to configure a frameless skin in the skin editor. Adobe tech support has not been able to point me to any documentation or tutorial that I'm not already familiar with.

I'm willing to buy a book. But neither I nor my employer are willing to spend $750 on a training course.

Here's everything I've studied. None of it goes beyond even the most basic instruction for using the skin editor:

• Adobe RH 2019 Help Manual
  • Adobe RH 2019 User Guide (online)
  • TutorialsPoint RH Guide
  • Peter Grainge's "tour" of RH 2019
  • the PFA User guide ("Using RH 2017")
  • Adobe Demo #1: "RoboHelp Reimagined" (Quick Start tutorial)
  • Adobe Demo #2: "Upgrading and Advanced Features"
  • Matt Sullivan video:  Tech Comm Tools Tutorial for RH 2019 
  • Neil Perlin:  RH 2015 (LinkedIn Learning)
  • RH 9 (LinkedIn Learning)

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Desperate for help with the skin editor

Explorer ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

I'm looking for detailed documentation of how to configure a frameless skin in the skin editor. Adobe tech support has not been able to point me to any documentation or tutorial that I'm not already familiar with.

I'm willing to buy a book. But neither I nor my employer are willing to spend $750 on a training course.

Here's everything I've studied. None of it goes beyond even the most basic instruction for using the skin editor:

• Adobe RH 2019 Help Manual
  • Adobe RH 2019 User Guide (online)
  • TutorialsPoint RH Guide
  • Peter Grainge's "tour" of RH 2019
  • the PFA User guide ("Using RH 2017")
  • Adobe Demo #1: "RoboHelp Reimagined" (Quick Start tutorial)
  • Adobe Demo #2: "Upgrading and Advanced Features"
  • Matt Sullivan video:  Tech Comm Tools Tutorial for RH 2019 
  • Neil Perlin:  RH 2015 (LinkedIn Learning)
  • RH 9 (LinkedIn Learning)

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice. Thank you, Jeff.

Will order it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, though grateful for Jeff's suggestion, I've just bought the Kindle edition of the IconLogic book. And it too is incredibly thin on detail. It certainly has brought me no closer to successfully configuring a frameless skin using the skin editor.

I'm pretty much ready to give up on RH. I don't know what to tell me boss. She invested in the software on my say so.  But I'm at my wits end. I've burned forty man hours and have made zero progress -- worse, I've actually destroyed what I had accomplished in the past week.

Last week, I succeeded in placing a great background image and logo into the skin homepage (Oceanic). But since then, b/c there's no documentation to go by for further refinements, my trial-and-error process has wrecked what I had accomplished last week. The background image and logo no longer display. And I have no idea how to remedy what destruction I've wrought.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stay calm. I'll respond in the morning and see if we can get you back on track. Some detail about what you are trying to achieve with what skin and version of RoboHelp will help.

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pro tip is don't go by what you see in the skin preview pane (it seems a bit buggy to me). Generate and check in the browser.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty much ready to give up on RH. I don't know what to tell me boss. She invested in the software on my say so.  

No need to tell her anything because you should be able to achieve whatever you want or something close enough. You already proved that by changing the image as you did in another thread.

Books and Courses - The problem is that when a release comes out, it then takes a lot of time to get anything to market. With the big authoring tools regularly upgrading, a book can be out of date in months at best. The business model isn't there, particularly given how the authoring market has shrunk over the years. What can be done is introductory level stuff and even that is difficult. Kevin is one of the few managing to keep it going. As the title of his book says, it is the essentials, not the whole lot.

The other issue is that the skins and indeed the whole product evolve. The only way is being thrown in at the deep end or paying for a custom course but really that's not what you need, all you want is how the heck do I make a specific change or changes. You don't need to know about fields that don't affect what you want.

So start here by confirming you are still working on Oceanic giving us some information about what you want to change from the basic. Also tell us how badly wrecked things are at the moment so that we can work out if it's easier to start again or if a repair is possible.

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines