• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Determining links in a hlp file

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to find out the link paths in an hlp file?

We are converting hlp files using RH's import feature.

However, it looks like RH removes links it cannot resolve when you import, and I need to recreate these links.

Is there a way to look at the link properties in the hlp files to determine where the old link points?

Thank you!

Cindy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It's been a long while for me and WinHelp.

Likely back in the day when this format was dominant there were tools to help with this. But given where we are today, I'm going to have to say that likely "Brute force" will be the order of the day. Meaning that your best option will be to simply manually open each page and test each liink.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get an answer to this?

I agree with Rick's statements above.

My other thoughts were:

1) if you happen to have the source files for this project, you could import the .rtf files into your project, but I suspect if you're already at the point of trying to figure out the links through the HLP file, you don't.

2) you could try decompiling the .hlp file with Decompile HLP Files with the WinHelp Decompiler

Paul Hanson

Back from a week of vacation...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I ended up clicking on every link in the original help file to try to find out where they go. Some worked; others did not.

De-compiling the project did not work with RH because RH simply removes any link it cannot resolve. I also do not have the source files for any of the projects.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soooo, I'm just musing a bit here, so bear with me.

You clicked on every link using the original help. Some worked but others didn't. You say that RoboHelp removes links it cannot resolve.

Here's my own thought on it. Since you clicked in the original file but didn't get any result, shouldn't that be the correct course of action? I mean, if the link in the unmodified and uncompiled source is a bad link, does it matter that the link is removed? Obviously the destination no longer exists. (or possible never did in the original) And if that's the case, I'm not sure anything has been lost.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick - that's a good point.

After I posted yesterday, I used the WInHelp decompiler I linked to above to decompile some legacy WInHelp files I had. When I did, the RTF file that was created showed the link syntax.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Rick and Paul:

There have been other writers working on these projects the last few years, and it's possible that the links don't work anymore because no one updated this particular project with new links, so I can't assume that the links shouldn't be there.

I did a lot of hunting yesterday and found some of the topics that I need in other help project.

All that being said: Now that I know about the decompiler, I might try it to see if I can resolve some of the still-outstanding links.

Thank you!

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp