• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable magnetic border on RH 2015

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH 2015 build 12.0.0.306 on Windows 10.

The main window of the RH HTML main window seems to have a "magnetic" border, attracting the mouse cursor when the mouse is close to it.  This creates problems for me when I'm authoring on a laptop with limited screen space.  With several apps running along with RH, I'm often moving from one app to another as I capture screens, edit images, and edit in RH.  With the magnetic border of the RH main window, it becomes difficult to put my mouse where I want it - outside of RH but near it's border.

Is there any way to turn this magnetic border off?

If not, I'd advocate strongly for it to be defeated in the next version.  It hinders my workflow more often then it helps.

Thanks for comments,

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not convinced this has anything to do with RoboHelp. In all the years I've used RoboHelp, I've never encountered or heard of this behavior.

I'd be suspect and checking other applications to see if they also have this behavior.

Are you able to perhaps record a video showing this happening?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r​

That was my first thought, too.  But no, I'm not recording anything, and with 8 apps running it is ONLY the RH main window that does this.

@Jeff_Coatsworth

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll do that and see if it changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I wasn't suggesting that you were recording things and that was causing it. What I was hoping was that you could record a screencast video demonstrating the behavior and share it so we could see on our end what is happening as if we were looking over your shoulder to see it first hand.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've recorded a short and small MP4 file.  I don't see how to include that directly - looks like I need to post it to youtube or something similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, youtube would work. Or, something like http://www.wetransfer.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the example on youtube. You'll see the lower left corner of the RH window in the foreground, and my Outlook window in the background.  As the mouse moves over the Outlook window border, notice the standard behavior for the cursor movement.  As it moves near the RH border, notice that it jumps to the border.  Once it has jumped, I'm making an effort with the touch pad to pull it the mouse away again, and it's "magnetically" attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, thanks for the video.

Wondering if this article will help.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Looks like that was for Windows 8. Link below is for Windows 10.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Win10 sticky corner link.  Reviewing that thread, it sounds like that's an issue with Win10 that MS has not yet fixed.  I'm not seeing quite the same thing on my system, and again, it has only been RH that has the problem.

I've tried turning off the "snapping" features of Win10, and it has no impact on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should update your copy too – there’s been several patches issued now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth and Captiv8r​

Today I updated my RH 2015 to the latest patch (12.0.4.460) on both my Win10 and Win7 computers.  The update has no effect on the issue; both computers still have the issue of a "sticky" border on the main RH window.  This suggests that it is not an OS-specific issue.

I'm really baffled that no one else seems to experience this.  It's a real pain when working in the limited screen space of the laptop.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions, and thank very much for your ideas so far.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you Alt-Tab between applications instead of using the trackpad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff -

That's a reasonable work-around.  It's a little slower because I've got so many apps running at the same time.

I'm thinking I should report this formally to Adobe.  Do you know the link to do that?

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link is back on main page - http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, guys.  I've just submitted this as a usability bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try two things.

1. A different brand of mouse.

2. A different screen resolution.

Please don't say that's not logical. I know. Just try it.  

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter.  I have tried both, as I have RH set up on a laptop with a touchpad and an HP desktop with a mouse.  The behavior is the same on both. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I think I finally just discovered what you are talking about. I've never noticed it before. Likely because I normally work with RoboHelp in full screen mode. Additionally, I had pinged some fellow RoboHelpers along with Adobe and I was hoping to gain a bit of a better understanding of what you might be seeing..

I offer my sincere apologies as after finally seeing this first hand, I now realize I was misunderstanding the issue. Hopefully the video below will help others to better understand what is happening here. And it definitely seems related to RoboHelp. Very strange.

Click here to view

Hopefully Adobe will have an answer... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick - yeah it looks like it's always trying to resize the window - just checked my copy of RH11; it's not behaving that way at all. Must be a new "feature" with RH2015 ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that Adobe somewhat radically changed the UI, I'm thinking perhaps the application was ported to a different tool and maybe we are seeing a side effect of the different tool.

But that's just a guess on my part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for continuing to investigate this. Your movie more clearly shows this issue.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your only workaround with this one is to work full screen & alt-tab between applications (or hook up a second monitor & put all your other windows over on it while working full-screen with RH2015 on one screen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem with RH 2017 and it is very annoying.  I have 6 projects open and I roll through them in a staggered tab type format.  The friggin cursor keeps jumping to the wrong project.  I want to scream.  I really want to downgrade to RH10.  I hate the new ribbons and I really hate the sticky borders.  Unless you really need the new output formats, I personally wouldn't upgrade. 

Pulling hair out.  I have figured out some work arounds but RH 10 was much easier to work with.  Unfortunately i have to collaborate with others and we added a seat so we are forced to upgrade which in our case is a downgrade.  Fancier is not always better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, no one else has hit this for just over a year so it's not a common problem and there hasn't been any other thread on this that I am aware of.That's not to deny the issue, just to clarify that it must be something quite specific as Rick has pointed out.

I wonder if it is worth contacting support (it's free nowadays) to see if they can offer any solution?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information. $£0.00

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp