Highlighted

Does anyone know what fonts might be available in Europe and Russia?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My online help project will be translated into 35 languages, including Hebrew and Russian (Cyrillic) and other languages that don't use latin script or western style numbers. So now I'm wondering if there is any info out there about what fonts might work universally. I wonder if anyone has run into this issue. I've been using verdana, arial, and times new roman in my help systems..

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I assume that if a user in another country doesn't have one of these fonts, their system will just subsitute it for something similar, so maybe it's not a problem. Although it might affect the overall appearance of the Help topics . 

Topics

HTML

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Does anyone know what fonts might be available in Europe and Russia?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My online help project will be translated into 35 languages, including Hebrew and Russian (Cyrillic) and other languages that don't use latin script or western style numbers. So now I'm wondering if there is any info out there about what fonts might work universally. I wonder if anyone has run into this issue. I've been using verdana, arial, and times new roman in my help systems..

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I assume that if a user in another country doesn't have one of these fonts, their system will just subsitute it for something similar, so maybe it's not a problem. Although it might affect the overall appearance of the Help topics . 

Topics

HTML

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't pretend to be an expert on this, but I believe you're looking for a unicode font, i.e. a font that supports the entire unicode range. Wikipedia has a list: Unicode font - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Normally, when a font is not available, the browser of other application will substitute the font, so it should be all right. But it may break you style guide.

The MS manual of style says:

Fonts

Use fonts that are available in browsers and operating systems worldwide. Common fonts are Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New, Verdana, and Symbol. Alternatively, you can design your content so that fonts on the user’s system will be substituted if the

specified font is not available. (3rd edition, page 69)

-- Be sure to ask your translation agency, they know these kinds of things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
sumaya77 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really helpful. Thanks so much, William

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines