• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does the output of RoboHelp 2019 constitute a 'Web Application'?

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Does the output of RoboHelp 2019 constitute a 'Web Application'?

RC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Just an update for anyone else looking at this in the future:

I re-purchased RoboHelp (having not used it since version 8!), generated the responsive HTML 5 output and was able to use Electron to turn it into more of a standalone desktop-like application for those that might want to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe - if you create an App as your output; no if you just create HTML5 help or WebHelp or PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff - thanks for your reply -  do you mean only if it created as a mobile app as shown in this list here: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/robohelp/using/generate-output.html

If so, does anyone know a way of converting a Responsive HTML5 output into a standalone web application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the mobile app output.
What are you trying to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a standalone desktop application from the generated output.

I had previously used AirHelp but believe it is now 32-bit only (pending confirmation from Adobe which has been requested). 

I have also come across Electron (see here: https://sharpnotions.com/blog/electron-is-it-right-for-building-cross-platform-applications/) which serve as a replacement but first I would need to convert my RoboHelp HTML output into a web application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most help writers are just using their HTML5 help output on webservers on the Internet and connecting it to their applications - the output itself isn't an application (i.e. you can't do much with it except look things up). Even with AIRHelp, it was just a standalone wrapper as a way of serving up your content. Electron looks like just another type of wrapper with a Chrome browser baked in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to Jeff's inputs, think of the help as a web site rather than a web application. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I think the Robohelp output (responsive and frameless) counts as a "web application" for electron purposes (HTML, CSS and JS).

I *think* you would copy the output to the required app directory, with the other required electron files as outlined here, https://www.electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/application-distribution, then the packaging process would generate an exe using that content.

Or at least that's my reading of it. I haven't tried it.

How it will work in practice is a different question.

(Assuming it all works, you might be able to automate the app packaging using the Post Generation Script field in the preset.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just an update for anyone else looking at this in the future:

I re-purchased RoboHelp (having not used it since version 8!), generated the responsive HTML 5 output and was able to use Electron to turn it into more of a standalone desktop-like application for those that might want to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp