• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double-entry Search results!

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2008 May 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! This odd behavior occurs when I generate a .chm and use my main project directory (or a subdirectory) as the output folder for the .chm. If I use the Search feature in the finished .chm, I get double entries for each topic, and only one of each works.

Ah, but if I create a folder up one level from my main project folder and use that as my output folder...no double Search results. If I use Desktop as my output destination...no problem. As long as my output folder is not the same as or contained within my main project folder, the .chm Search behaves as it should and returns only single entries for each topic.

I have multiple projects that use the same general directory structure, and I usually output the .chm to a directory called "Deliverables" for each separate project. None of the other projects have this peculiar Search problem.

I have seen a sort-of related article in which deleting files that begin with "rlt" solves a similar issue. No such files exist in this project directory. I have poked through the various files the RH generates for the project, and haven't seen anything that looks like it could cause this weird problem.

So yes, I have a workaround...but I should not need one. Does anyone know what's going on here? And how do I fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008
Problem solved...Pete Lees took a closer look at the .chm in question and found several links to "upstream" topics - topics above the main project directory, and which did not appear in the .hhp file in the Topics list. Correcting the links fixed the problem...thanks Pete!

However, I still wonder why RH created doubles of the "missing" topics and dumped them into the .chm file, where they could not be viewed as part of the .chm, but found if you used one of the .chm utilities. That doubled the ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 14, 2008 May 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that you do not have another copy of your .chm somewhere in your folder (the main project directory or any of its subdirectories). Delete it and then try generating again.

Good luck,
Debbie Sarig
www.lingotip.com - Tranlsating the World!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, MLimtiaco, and welcome,

This problem typically occurs when you compile into your CHM some HTML topic files that are above the "root" of the help project — perhaps because they are the targets of hyperlinks in topics at or below the root level. See:

http://helpware.net/FAR/far_faq.htm#Project_Setup

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All folders checked for other .chm files - nada. Checked the .hhp Files list to see if anything preceded by "../" might be included in the compile process - also nada. Does one of the Reports give you a list of topics upstream from the main project folder? I've spot checked links in a couple dozen topics and found nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You might try using the Examine CHM File facility in KeyTools to peek inside your help file and see if anything is obviously wrong.

http://www.keyworks.net/keytools.htm

If no suitable reports are available from within RoboHelp, can you run a search across the HTML topic files for URLs with a leading "../" string? (Some may be legitimate, depending on how your project folders are structured.)

If you feel comfortable doing so, please send me the .chm file with the broken search results so that I can take a closer look.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I looked through the funky .chm using FAR HTML's HH Utilities tool. Almost every legitimate topic had a double, preceded by "../," at the root level of the .chm. All the legit topics were also in their directories as expected, and if viewed in the HH Utilities tool appeared as they should in the .chm, using the specified CSS. The doubles, however, appeared as plain text with no styles applied. Weird!

Pete, since this is part of some API documentation for our customers, nothing to hide here - I can send you a copy for further investigation. Might help to note that this was originally an RH x5 project that I imported and recreated in RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved...Pete Lees took a closer look at the .chm in question and found several links to "upstream" topics - topics above the main project directory, and which did not appear in the .hhp file in the Topics list. Correcting the links fixed the problem...thanks Pete!

However, I still wonder why RH created doubles of the "missing" topics and dumped them into the .chm file, where they could not be viewed as part of the .chm, but found if you used one of the .chm utilities. That doubled the file size unnecessarily, which was originally my first clue that something wonky was happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When a CHM file is compiled it attempts to pull in all links to content that it finds. Your project had some serious issues that arose from having links to content that was outside the project. This is why the duplicates occurred. It wasn't RoboHelp that did that. Likely RoboHelp warned you about it with dialogs advising that you had links to content outside the project. And likely you grew tired of seeing the dialogs and told RoboHelp not to show you the warnings again. Then you noticed the issue.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem but I cannot work out how to fix it.

I used FAR and KeyTools and it looks like I have duplicate topics in the main project folder but I don't see them in RoboHelp or in Windows explorer. How can I delete them?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please post a screen capture of your single source layout properties.

My own guess here is that your CHM file is being compiled from inside the main project folder. This has been known to cause "double" results to be found when searching.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've attached a screenshot.

In the FAR HH utilities dialog box I can see the list of "doubled" topics. However, I cannot find a way to delete them.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please read the link below and follow that process for any future screen captures. (Well, only those you actually want us to see)

Click here

So what happens if you change the output folder location to something like C:\Projects? Problem go away or not?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2009 Aug 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Rob,

There may be a problem with one or more of the hyperlinks in your topics. If you try to link to a topic file that is "above" your Help project folder, that topic is compiled into the root of the Help file — where it may appear in search results but be inaccessible when you try to view it. So, if you have the means to search for and verify the hyperlinks in your topic files, it may be worth doing so.

Have you seen also the proposed solutions to this problem in these threads?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2189310

http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.robohelp.robohelp_for_htmlhelp/browse_thread/thread/fccc0a...

If all else fails, and you're willing to let me see your Help file, please feel free to send it to me. (Click my user name at the left to get my email address.) I'd be more than happy to take a closer look.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the suggestion to compile to a folder higher in the heirarchy than my project folder helped me with a similar problem where I was getting duplicates in my See Also popups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp