• RoboHelp 2019.11 New
  • Frameless
  • Orange (modified)

Create this in RoboHelp:

glossary-editor.png

How it appears in the output:

glossary-output.png

Problem:

The build/compile process is inserting a backslash immediately prior to each double-quote.

Workaround:

Use a single-quote character instead of the double-quote character; those publish correctly.

This is a bug, right?

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

I am advised...

This is happening while generating glossary file in output. Extra \\ is getting added as escape character. You can fix this in output by fixing the gdata1.new file in whxdata folder of output.

You will need to change the value in this file in output. 

As earlier, this will be fixed in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably or just an oversight - US vs UK punctuation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested the same glossary term and it worked correctly. I am not aware this was ever a problem but do you have all updates applied?

Otherwise, have you tried deleting the glossary term and creating it again?

In the glossary folder of the project there is a glo file that you can open in a text editor. It looks like this in my file.

<glossdef>Total &quot;cash received&quot; less &quot;change given&quot;.</glossdef></glossentry></glossgroup>

Maybe you can edit what you find?

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look at the glo file, but I know previous versions of RoboHelp had issues displaying quotes if they were so-called "smart quotes" - and not the standard straight quotes. I don't believe that's the case here, but I'll see if the code offers any clarity on the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear how smart quotes have come in to this. The glossary editor would not have used them and your screenshot doesn't show them.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick test. Looks like the slashes are added for straight quotes, but smart quotes turn out fine...

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart quotes aren't the issue here. Just recalling an issue/bug associated with smart quotes in an older version of RoboHelp (x3?, x5?, who can remember?!) that we'd stumbled across in the past - one which, as a result, we now only use straight quotes (and even configure Word not to use smart quotes). I don't remember exactly what the issue was, but RoboHelp would add/display unwanted artifacts when we tried to use smart quotes. Bottom line, this isn't the first time I've seen RoboHelp display unwanted artifacts where quotes are involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as per my test, smart quotes are fine. Straight quotes are the problem this time.

You can report problems here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do recall smart quotes being a problem but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

I am not seeing a problem with straight quotes but you and Amber are. Did looking at the glo file solve the problem?

@Robofan Does this happen in a new project?

@Amber I am assuming you set up your test in a small test project. Could you sent that to me please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it in the Robohelp Reimagined project at work. I'll attempt to recreate and send through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested in the current RoboHelp Reimagined (Update 11) and still not seeing it. 🙂

Let's see what happens in the test project when I get it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, I've been running 2019.11 since the day it was released.

Further testing...

I believe this is a bug. I just created a brand new, from scratch, project. Created 1 glossary entry with definition for net cash. Here's the code from the .glo file:

<glossterm>net cash</glossterm>
<glossdef>Total &quot;cash received&quot; less &#39;change given&#39;.</glossdef></glossentry>

Added the Orange skin to the project settings. No other changes, customizations, etc. Generated Frameless output. Looked at the glossary in the output. Backslash appears. Looked at it in both Firefox and Chrome. Backslash appears in both browsers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue also appears for Frameless Oceanic and Dark skins.

Issue also appears for Responsive HTML5 output (all default settings).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My glo file content

<glossdef>Total &quot;cash received&quot; less &quot;change given&quot;.</glossdef></glossentry>

Your glo file content

<glossdef>Total &quot;cash received&quot; less &#39;change given&#39;.</glossdef></glossentry>

So the issue is why we are seeing differences. What is your project language?

I just added another glossary term and used your code.

image.png

Let me know your project language and I will take it up with Adobe. Maybe they advise something quicker than waiting for a bug fix.

I am not doubting anything you say, especially as Amber got the same results. What I am trying to do is find out why. I am using English UK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent a sample project through. Let me know if you'd like me to send the output as well.

I tried changing the project language, and the output language to UK with no difference to the output. My Windows language is English AU, with AU and UK set as the preferred languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally I see the issue. I don't think it was stated anywhere that this issue is only in the Glossary itself rather than in topics. I had been looking in topics and not seeing the problem.

image.png

Using the project Amber sent me I added the two glossary terms she had put in the project to a topic. This is what I see in the topic.

image.png

This is what I see in Frameless Orange

image.png

Now that we are one, I think, I will report it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reported. I will let you know if there is any workaround, other than the use of smart quotes or a single quote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I captured that it was in the glossary definitions in the title. <grin> To be fair, I suppose I should have restated it in the initial post text for clarity.

One other note - I tried replacing &quot with &#34 in the .glo file, but the result was the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone for looking into this. I'll use single-quotes for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am advised that the issue will be fixed in Update 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In topics they are still glossary definitions. No worries. You have a workaround and Adobe are on the case now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am advised...

This is happening while generating glossary file in output. Extra \\ is getting added as escape character. You can fix this in output by fixing the gdata1.new file in whxdata folder of output.

You will need to change the value in this file in output. 

As earlier, this will be fixed in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for explaining the cause and sharing "real" workaround via the gdata1.new file! I'm going to stick with single quotes for now - and revisit the options after update 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please test with Update 12 applied and confirm that this issue is now fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp