• RoboHelp 2019.11 New
  • Frameless
  • Orange (modified)

Create this in RoboHelp:

glossary-editor.png

How it appears in the output:

glossary-output.png

Problem:

The build/compile process is inserting a backslash immediately prior to each double-quote.

Workaround:

Use a single-quote character instead of the double-quote character; those publish correctly.

This is a bug, right?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Grainge | Adobe Community Professional

I am advised...

This is happening while generating glossary file in output. Extra \\ is getting added as escape character. You can fix this in output by fixing the gdata1.new file in whxdata folder of output.

You will need to change the value in this file in output. 

As earlier, this will be fixed in the next update.

Topics

New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Double-Quotes in Glossary Definitions Publish with a Backslash

Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Environment:

• Win10
  • RoboHelp 2019.11 New
  • Frameless
  • Orange (modified)

Create this in RoboHelp:

glossary-editor.png

How it appears in the output:

glossary-output.png

Problem:

The build/compile process is inserting a backslash immediately prior to each double-quote.

Workaround:

Use a single-quote character instead of the double-quote character; those publish correctly.

This is a bug, right?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Grainge | Adobe Community Professional

I am advised...

This is happening while generating glossary file in output. Extra \\ is getting added as escape character. You can fix this in output by fixing the gdata1.new file in whxdata folder of output.

You will need to change the value in this file in output. 

As earlier, this will be fixed in the next update.

Topics

New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably or just an oversight - US vs UK punctuation?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested the same glossary term and it worked correctly. I am not aware this was ever a problem but do you have all updates applied?

Otherwise, have you tried deleting the glossary term and creating it again?

In the glossary folder of the project there is a glo file that you can open in a text editor. It looks like this in my file.

<glossdef>Total &quot;cash received&quot; less &quot;change given&quot;.</glossdef></glossentry></glossgroup>

Maybe you can edit what you find?

www.grainge.org

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look at the glo file, but I know previous versions of RoboHelp had issues displaying quotes if they were so-called "smart quotes" - and not the standard straight quotes. I don't believe that's the case here, but I'll see if the code offers any clarity on the matter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear how smart quotes have come in to this. The glossary editor would not have used them and your screenshot doesn't show them.

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick test. Looks like the slashes are added for straight quotes, but smart quotes turn out fine...

image.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines