Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop-Down Text Editor - 2 Questions

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2008 Mar 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I have two questions regarding the above-mentioned editor.

1. Is it possible to have the editor open to a pre-defined size, instead of adjusting the size after it is opened?

2. Within the editor, the Add To Dictionary option is greyed-out (RX7). How do I activate this feature? Presently I have copy the term outside the editor and then select the Add To Dictionary option.

Thank you,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time you open a RH project the size of any DHTML window is small. You can increase the size of the window by clicking and dragging and any future DHTML window adopts that size. However this only works until you close that project. There is no other work around as the window size is hard coded.

Regarding the Add to Dictionary option, this is available in RHX5 inside a DHTML window. RHX5 is the only version I have available here, so perhaps someone else with RH7 can confirm whether this happens to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
There is no other work around as the window size is hard coded.

Hello Colum -

Any idea of the file name that contains the code (in X5)?

I have done some hex editing on eHelp files in the past - not afraid to do more if you know the file.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? You think I mess around in that brown smelly stuff I could be way off the mark here but if you look in the RoboHTML directory where you have RH installed there is a DLL called BaseStructureEditorDialogs_Dialog_DHTML_Release_U.dll. I'll stake (not a lot of) money that that will be it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Personally, I'm thinking that the window size is maintained in the Registry somewhere. This is because if you change it, it opens again at the last used size.

But that's just me... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn! Looks like I'll have to postpone my retirement now that I've lost my money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
What? You think I mess around in that brown smelly stuff I could be way off the mark here but if you look in the RoboHTML directory where you have RH installed there is a DLL called BaseStructureEditorDialogs_Dialog_DHTML_Release_U.dll. I'll stake (not a lot of) money that that will be it.

Hello Colum -

Nope, that one isn't it. I've poked into 6 or 8 files so far...lots of "interesting" things in some of them such as comments about IE wigging out, how Mac IE is a pain, Netscape keeps reloading if you apply inline styles, references to the Vodka Dialog Factory and this comment in popup.ocx:

"P.o.p.u.p. .C.o.n.t.r.o.l...P.o.p.u.p. .P.r.o.p.e.r.t.y. .P.a.g.e.....................................G.e.n.e.r.a.l...A.c.t.i.v.e. .P.o.p.u.p.N.T.h.e. .A.c.t.i.v.e. .P.o.p.u.p. .c.o.n.t.r.o.l. .d.o.e.s. .n.o.t. .h.a.v.e. .a.n.y. .s.t.a.t.i.c.a.l.l.y. .c.o.n.f.i.g.u.r.a.b.l.e. .p.r.o.p.e.r.t.i.e.s."

Found some DLLs that re-write the HTML during conversion and generating (that's why some manual changes don't seem to "stick")...this is what I modified some five years ago but can't remember what files I changed.

I'll look into some more files next week.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please will everyone who wants the DHTML editor to be a configurable default size and for RH to remember if they stretch it go to this link and post an enhancement request. We need your vote!!

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

See if you can collectively bring down Adobe's site!

[You might have gathered this one annoys me too!]

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Chris, until such time as Adobe addresses the issue, I'd like to share with you how I personally deal with the little DHTML drop down window. The fact is, I seldom, if ever, use it! Yet I overwhelmingly consider this feature to be one of the most powerful features of RoboHelp.

Here is how I "deal" with it. I normally insert a blank line where the drop-down will ultimately appear. I then insert what I want (Images, tables, whatever) and arrange it just so. Then I select the whole shebang and press Ctrl+X to cut it to the Windows Clipboard. THEN I finally open the DHTML drop-down window and simply paste the contents inside.

I find that little window WAAAYYYYY too constraining and confining. Makes me claustrophobic to even think of it!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Thanks guys for your responses. I will post an enhancement request and hope for the best.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hell I'd get all of you to follow Peter's advice - even if you don't use the LITTLE blighters!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on to your money Colum. Rick, did you close and reopen RH?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya Peter

Hmmm, excellent point! You are correct, sir. It does reset. I suppose because of the way I avoid it, I never noticed that!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump: I know this comment train is from nine years ago, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to globally (and permanently) resize the tiny drop-down text window? The topic seems to have come up over the years, but no solution that I've found.

I'm running RH 13.0.0.257

Thanks in advance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ross

No way I'm aware of to do it. My own preferred method of dealing with it is to avoid it pretty much entirely.

I compose what I want directly below the click text or image in the RoboHelp editor. Once I have things arranged as I want, I select it and cut from the topic. Then I open the little window, select all and paste.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick--that's my workflow, also. I was just hoping beyond hope...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp