• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop-downs stop working

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same set of drop-downs in many of our topic headers. They function as designed when you first access the help system. They stop functioning when you navigate to a different topic. The cursor still changes to the pointed finger when it hovers over the drop-down, but clicking it does nothing.

Also, how do I access the drop-down list?

RH2015 12.0.1.338

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

For anyone that may be following this thread, Tom shared his project with me and after several hours of testing and examination I believe I've figured out what the problem is. It has to do with the See Also control and the frame target attribute.

I've created a video for Tom to review and to try what I suggested to see if it's a fix.

Anxiously awaiting Tom's results.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?Make sure you're all patched up - IIRC, there was a fix for dropdowns in one of the patches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Will do. I believe I have a list of the 3 most recent patches on another post.

Rick,

Sorry, it's been a while since I've worked with RH. When you click the image/icon, a list drops down. How do I edit that list? How do I find the name of the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I've been informed that our version of RH2015 was purchased quite recently, after the most recent patch. We should be up to date.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom

Even if it was purchased recently, I'd still click Help > Updates to be certain.

Still unclear on the image. Are you referring to the topic? You have an image in the topic? And when it works, you click the image and see the list? Or are you referring to something in the RoboHelp editor application?

If it's in the topic, usually you double-click the item that is the hotspot trigger and a smaller window appears where you may edit the content of the drop-down.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can categorically confirm release versions do not get updated. After

installation, updates must be applied..

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran the updates from Help > Updates. No change.

A little history: I just started with this company 2 weeks ago. They haven't done Tech Writing projects for 2+ yrs and I'm not sure if the project file I'm working with is the most recent (there are subtle differences). The project being used by the Help system was generated in RH8 (possibly 9).

The following screen shows the Tell Me More drop-down. These drop-downs only work on the initial screen. After navigating via the TOC, these drop-downs no longer work. This screen is from the Help system currently used by the software.

The next screen is from the current project file. It opens with the TOC activated. The drop-downs don't work and the hotspot images are much larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first image looks like it’s being called via CSH, the second looks like launching it from the index.htm page. So it was an older project that got upgraded – you might try running the Update DHTML Effects in Topics tool to see if it has any impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No impact, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us a screenshot of the topic in RH to how it's set up and what that element is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of "how it's set up and what the element is"? Not sure how to do that, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see a screenshot of the topic highlighting that dropdown feature you show on the generated output? Maybe also the HTML view of the topic at that spot too - since others aren't reporting issues like yours, there's got to be something else going on here ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Here they are:

HTML

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now let's have a look at the "Tell Me More" button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Appreciate this. Clicked Tell Me More and captured the following.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'm a bit concerned with all these references...
tmp3.png

These would appear to be See Also controls mapped to the keywords of "Security C" and "Orient C".

This makes me wonder if perhaps removing the space or substituting an underscore for the space might be helpful here,

To manipulate this, you open the Project Manager pod and double-click the See Also at the bottom.

tmp4.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

All these seem to do is separate the drop-down objects. I removed these in one of the topics and regenerated. No difference. Entering an underscore was the same. Did I misunderstand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

So, is this project extra huge? If it's not overly huge, would you be open to sharing it so we might see first hand what is happening?

Or, perhaps take just one of the topics and share it with us so we might test on our end?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

That would be great. How do we do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are opting for the "share your project" option, you would use something like http://www.WeTransfer.com and you would zip the project and upload the zip there and send to my email or rickstone1975 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Or if you want to take the simpler approach, send just the one topic along with other information about any folders or other dependencies needed to see it.

Personally, I think seeing the entire project is best.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On its way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got it downloaded and am opening it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, some progress but I'm scratching my head on it.

If you open the topic by just opening the Topic HTM page all by itself, the See Also links function.

tmp2.png

But once I click the "Show Table of Contents" link to put the topic into the WebHelp frameset, boom. I see the behavior you are referring to. Note that the behavior is identical if the topic is simply opened from the Table of Contents. So this leads me to conclude that this has something to do with the topic being inside the WebHelp frameset.

My default browser is Google Chrome.  So I decided to test in other browsers.

In firefox it seems to work fine.

tmp4.png

And in Microsoft Internet Explorer they seem fine as well.

tmp3.png

So my conclusion is that it's got something to do with Google Chrome when the topic is inside the frame of a frameset.

So in my efforts, I'm wondering if I would see the same behavior in one of my own projects. So I opened a project and configured a See Also keyword and added a control.

Oddly, it worked just fine for me in my own project. So at this point I'm thinking this is definitely project related. But I'm not exactly sure how.

Still digging... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Also note that the drop-down text for both images displays in the same area. I assume that's because the Tell Me More image isn't in an anchored frame and instead is positioned using those spaces in the HTML you mentioned yesterday.

Edit: Scratch that. This was done in Firefox. When I opened the file in Explorer it worked fine. Weird

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp