• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic content filtering with Linked FrameMaker books? Supported?

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Does anyone know if the personalized dynamic content filters work for linked FrameMaker books? Specifically, does the (linked) FrameMaker TOC dynamically update based on the filter selections?

I'm currently creating a mock-up project to showcase this feature, but my FrameMaker books must  be "linked" (not imported) with the Robohelp project. The filtering seems to work (ie, content is displayed or hidden depending on the filter), but the TOC does not dynamically update. Is it supposed to?

As well, clicking on a TOC item that conditionalized and used as one of the filters does not link to the topic (that is, I click on the TOC item, and the corresponding content does not appear in the right-hand pane. This happens if that content is currently conditionalized and used as a filter criteria for dynamic content).

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2015 Sep 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I stand to be corrected on this, but If memory serves, you will need to ensure you apply the tagging directly on the TOC elements in order for the content filtering to apply to the TOC nodes.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? I hope not! That is going to be a lot of work and needs to be done every time I Force Update the book?

Thanks for the input Rick, I would never have thought that would be the case. Do you remember if this was mentioned in a webinar or elsewhere?

Although it's highly unlikely, is there a script that could be run to apply the conditional tags based on what's conditionalize in the content? Might be hoping for a miracle here. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mentioned in a webinar? Not that I'm aware of. Then again, I've not watched each and every webinar, so who knows?

No, it's from personal experience working with it. As I was still fuzzy on it (it's been a few months since I played with it) I set up a situation to test. And it's as I expected. Here's the deal.

I tagged entire topics with tags. I configured filters and looked at the output. As expected, when filtering, the topics that should have been filtered out were actually filtered out. The problem with it is the Books in the TOC. The topics get removed via the filter, but if all topics inside a book are removed, the book remains. So you have to be sure to apply the tag to the book. You can get away without tagging the pages inside the book, but the books themselves need to be tagged or they won't perform the super duper magickal disappearing act!

Perhaps that simplifies it a bit?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. Much appreciated.

When using the FrameMaker integration feature, it's even one more step behind.

When using FrameMaker integration, the following does not hold true, which is surprising:

You can get away without tagging the pages inside the book.

Not so - the "pages" are filtered in the content, but not in the TOC at all.

It's not a big deal to apply conditional build tags if you are authoring in Robohelp, but it's a dealbreaker when using FrameMaker integration (linking). Whenever you make a change in the content in FrameMaker, you need to do a "Force Update" in Robohelp. That will "erase" any conditional build tags applied to the TOC directly in Robohelp. I "Force Update" several times when generating a project, so I cannot expect to keep reapplying those conditional build tags. I'm really really hoping for a script of sorts (dont' even know if that's possible) that will automagically fix this for me. Before the end of the week preferably.

Thanks again, you're always very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that the same problem I described above also applies to the Index entries. Even though they are conditionalized in FrameMaker, the conditional text settings don't come through when linked with Robohelp (so index entries need to be specifically conditionalized in Robohelp).

I hope someone from Adobe can respond -- this feature doesn't apply well to Framemaker-linked projects as I'm understanding it, I hope there is a setting somewhere that I missed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE: Creating responsive HTML5 with dynamic content seems to work a bit better when creating the output directly from FrameMaker (when you are trying to convert a FrameMaker book).

The TOC behaves as expected. The index still does not - I'll go poke around in the FrameMaker forums to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp