Exit

Dynamic Content Filtering

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to meet a customer request to provide dynamic
filtered content that will be used in a specific way. The customer would like
four buttons representing information categories to be available on a cover page. By clicking on a button,
dynamic filtering would filter out topics that are not
conditionally tagged for that specific category. They do not want the user to use the filtering
tool. Instead, they would like to click on a button or image that invokes the
filter.

Is there a way to accomplish this, such as through the use
of creating a script?

Thanks.               

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting proposition

I think it should be possible but will require a bit of research. I know that it's possible to create a link that employs DCF as part of the hyperlink. So I could see where this could easily be used to create the links on that main page. What I'm unsure about is if DCF would be available if one elected to somehow remove the Filter button from the Skin.

Hopefully Willam will see this thread and choose to reply.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to do this would be to use the CSH API where you control which filters are set. By simply refreshing to the correct URL, the filters will be applied (or reset). See: http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/context-sensitivity-responsive-and-multiscreen-html5

I haven't hooked into the tags after the fact yet. It is fairly easy to get a list of tags that are applied. But it's not as easy as to know which filters are available, what their ID's are and how to set them. Personally, I use the URL as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to deploy with the user selecting the filter, but I need to deploy so our UI calls the filtered help via URL as you recommend. My URL doesn't change when make selections in the filter, so I don't know what URLs to provide our UI people. I've experimented with inserting the group name, separator, and selection, but I haven't been able to correctly guess at the placement. I'm hoping the page link you provided on your site will help me, but your site is down for maintenance. Could you possibly send me the content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to include in the URL is posted on my site. It is up again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response. I was able to use the information from your site and determine the correct URLs. Now the issue is that the URLs do not always open the correct page/apply the filter. I was testing back and forth between two URLs and often the view did not change until numerous refreshes, or closing and reopening the browser and trying again. Is there something I can do to make this perform consistently - a coworker thought you had suggestions previously for some kind of window control or command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you expand on this issue? Personally, I first add the CSH information to the URL and add the filter as the last parameter. It seems to be working fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp