Exit

Dynamic Content filters on RoboHelp

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Robohelp 2019.

I set 3 filter groups: Language (English, German), Technical (tech1, tech2) and Steps ( step1, step2).

Then, I assigned these tags to the topics. In such a way, each topic has one selection of each filter group. For example, Topic one is tagged with English, tech1, and step2. And Topic 2 is tagged with german, tech2 and step2.

My purpose is to enable the user to have only the topics which have exactly the selected filters. For example when he/she selects English, tech1 and step1 the topic 1 should appear; but when the user selects English, tech1, and step2, no topics should appear.

The problem I actually have is that the filters are seemingly applied with "Or" relations between them on the home page. For example, when I select german, tech2 and step2 I have all the topics with german tag and the topics with the tech2 tag and the topics with step2 tag. In other words, I have almost all the topics on the homepage. Then, when I access to a topic page, I have no content inside because the filters are applied now with "AND" relation. I do not use any condition expression. I would like to set "AND" relation between all the filters on the homepage.

Any help, much appreciated!

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

the problem was fixed by changing the output path.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New 2019 or Classic?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the new version, you cannot apply tags to both topic level and content level in the same topic. It's either/or. What you want to do requires expressions and they are not available in the new version.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have covered that above.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied tags only to topics. The problem is that the filters selection correctly (Filter1 AND Filter2 AND Filter3) works only on the contents, but only the first filter (language) is applied to topics. Do you mean Condition Expressions? I think it is available in the new version.

Unbenannt.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Condition Expressions can only be used to exclude what goes into the output. They are not operating on your DCF filtering.

Can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct. Send it with some examples of what you expect certain filter choices to do and what is happening that is not what you expect.

If not, could you create a mini project that shows the problem?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a for your reply. It is done. I sent you the project on WeTransfer and I explained my problem with examples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put another way, the filters are working in that they don't let you see topics filtered out but the topics still show in the TOC. When clicked you get a blank page.

Open the TOC and apply the same tags to the Topic 1, 2 and 3 pages as you have applied to the topics themselves.

I think that is what you are wanting.

Let me know.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when the topic is clicked we get a blank page but if we select the same filters as its tags we get the topic content.

As you recommended, I applied the same tags to the topics in the TOC. Now, I have a better result but only the first filter is applied which is Language. So, if I select the filters English+C-Line+Step1, then the topics with the tags English AND (C-Line OR Others) AND (Step1 OR Step2) appear in the TOC. In other words, all the topics tagged with English regardless of the other filters.

This is due to the fact that in the TOC the first condition tag is Language, so it's a higher priority. I want the three tags of each Topic to have the same priority. Where could I find the filter functions in the code (javascript)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filters so not have any priority. You get what each one along dictates.

I don't know how you would change the code or even if you can.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the filters don't have any priority but the tags do; which  affects filtering. Indeed, if we apply (to topics in TOC) respectively the tags [English+C-line+Step1] (1st case) it is not the same as when we apply respectively the tags [Step1+C-Line+English] (2nd case).

At the filter level, in the 1st case the topics with English appear so English is a priority and independent of the other filters, while in the second case the topics with Step1 appear so Step1 is a priority and independent of the others.

So, only the first tag assigned to the topic is considered.

Logically, filters must have AND relationship between them and the tags too, which is apparently not possible and not provided in Robohelp.

What I also understood is that filters are only valid on the topics' contents, and that only one filter can be used to filter topics on the homepage.

I didn't understand the use of having several filters (and filter groups) if we don't have the possibility to apply all the filters at the same time to the topics on the homepage.

I hope you have understood the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am with you but I'm not sure I'm getting across that each tag is separate in all respects.

If you open the output with no default filters applied, I think you will find that you will get the same topics every time when the checked filters are the same, no matter which order you tick them in.

Try removing all the defaults and then select a given combination in any order. Once done, you should always get the same topics.

If you want a combination of filters to apply when one check box is selected, that would require an expression and expressions are not allowed in the filtering in 2019.

Try removing all the defaults and then select a given combination in any order. Once done, you should always get the same topics.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right, it is always the same result. However, I would like to insist on the fact that each filter group has a priority "Audience> Others > platform > Product > Properties". Always Audience is the highest priority, and so on.

In any case, only the first selected filter is applied to the topics. The first selected filter is associated to the tag in the first filter group (in my case "Others" group in Condition tags which is the filter group "Language" ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "insist" are you meaning that is what you want? That would be a feature request because that is not how it is designed.

Yes the first selected filter gets applied, click another and you get whatever the combination dictates. As you have seen, first applied does not affect things, it's the combination of what is applied.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean by insist, I affirm again. What do you mean by the combination?

If you mean the combination of the filters, the filters combination works only on topics contents as the their tags combination dictates but it does not work on the topics list on the homepage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combination of filters and we've been through that. You confirmed that when you applied the same filters, no matter in which order you selected them, you get the same results. So select filters 1 ,2 and then 3 gives the same as selecting 3, 2 and 1 or any other order.

By Topic List I think you are referring to the TOC and I explained earlier that you have to apply the tags to the pages in the TOC as well.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a screenshot to illustrate would help if we are still not on the same page.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please find attached some screenshots,  in which I explained the example and the problem in red.

Shoot1.PNG

Shoot2.PNG

Shoot3.PNG

Shoot4.PNG

Shoot5.PNG

Shoot6.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will have a look later today on the project you sent me.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filters shown in the screenshots are not the same as the project you sent me.

I have changed the filters in that project to what you sent me in both the topics and the toc. What I am seeing is what you say you want to see. I think that some of your topics or the toc pages are incorrectly tagged. Please check the tagging again.

Let me know if that works. If not I will send you my copy so that you can see that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it is another project. I have the same problem in both.

Yes, please send me a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent via wetransfer.com.

Let us know if it is correct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sending it. Did you change something in the folder "Output"?

When I open the output (in the folder "Output" that you sent me), I have exactly the right result:

However, when I generate the same project in another folder (Output2) without changing anything, I have a wrong result as before:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing changed. Your project has two RHPJ files. That's a bug that will be fixed but I used ProjectBambia.rhpj in case that makes a difference. Then I used the Indigo preset.

Did you change the path in the preset to something on your PC?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp