Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export the User Defined Variables

Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to export the User Defined Variables from one project folder into another, but cannot figure out the way to get that done.

I lost the functioning set of UDV when trying to eliminate a corrupted topic; but upon restoring - my UDV set is empty.

Found a set of UDV that works from one of my backup folders that is very close to what is needed, but need to know how to/what to send to the main project folder.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess that I should add:  This is in RoboHelp HTML 11, and version 11.0.4.291.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I suppose if I were to try this I'd take the following approach.

Create a topic you will use to transfer the variables. Insert each variable on separate lines. Follow each of the variables with the actual text or whatever the variable contains on the line before or the following line.

Save the topic and import it to the destination project. Assuming the variables don't exist, you should see something like this:

tmp1.png

This is where the variable text will come in. Select and copy the variable text or image or whatever the variable should contain. Then double-click that ERROR bit and you should see this:

tmp2.png

Here is where you will paste what you copied. However, a variable may also contain an image. So if it was an image, just type something like XX into the field and click OK. Then paste the image into the Variable pod.

Rinse and repeat as needed until all variables have been created.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or copy the rhvariable.apj file from one project to the other 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't that come with a caveat? If perhaps project A has three variables already defined, then you replace the apj with one that does not include those variables, wouldn't that kind of cause an issue?

Admittedly, it would be nice if Adobe were to build in a way to easily export and import these.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True. Missed that. In that case the variables you already have will go missing, requiring the steps you outlined earlier.

You can still open te apj in notepad and paste the tags with variables from one project to another. (The <variables> tag and everything in it.) You can also copy the variable sets this way instead of having to add the definitions per set one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp