Exit

Find and Replace Breaks Search RH11

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 11  (11.0.4.291) / Windows 7 / 64 Bit /RoboHelp Server 9 / WebHelp Pro

Hi,

Recently I performed a Find/Replace function in all topics replacing the phrase 'multi-contractor contract' (--silly, I know--) with 'master contract'.

It seems now if I search for master contract, zero results are found.  However, if I search for 'multi-contractor', the phrase that was replaced, then it actually finds all the appropriate 'master contract' topics.

I have attempted the following:

• Manually located all instances of the word 'master' and re-typed it - somehow thinking this would really force the system to recognize the word.
  • Performed another find/replace function to replace 'master' with 'master' - again thinking that it would somehow override the system to recognize the word 'master'.
  • Generated a new WebHelp Pro layout.
  • Created new master page for all topics.
  • Published with Replace All option set.
  • One more thing, when I view locally, the search for 'master' works - it only breaks when I publish it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Hmm. It looks like you are using Client Side search indexing instead of the default installation. When first installed on the web server, there is an application called Configuration Manager (Unless you are allow to remote desktop onto the server, you will not be able to see this on your computer because it is installed on the server machine's desktop). Ask your web administrator to open this application and see if the "Reindex documents on server" is checked as shown below. When it is, you will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Julie

First, the reason it works when you view locally is because there is a "locally" generated search index created. That's what you see when you click the View Result button after generating a fresh batch. This is called "client-side" search (because your RoboHelp authoring app is the client). This is what is used for plain WebHelp. When your content is published to the RoboHelp Server, there is a different search engine technology which takes over. This "server-side" search engine re-indexes the content with the newly published project. A couple of things may be happening to cause a delay in seeing the refreshed content.

• Your particular server setup may be set to re-index at a certain time of day (often midnight) when there is less traffic on the server. Your admin can adjust this timing.
    RhServer-Admin-Settings-Search.jpg

• Your server administrators may have setup some kind of caching arrangement on the server and this needs to be cleared out or refresh as you might do with a web browser's cache.

One thing that might fix it quickly would be to delete the project on the server and republish to make sure the latest is being delivered (of course the caching issue may defeat even this.) So I advise talking to your web administrators to get their take on what I'm suggesting. There may be something unique to your network setup that I haven't covered.

Thanks

john

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

It seems you always pull the short straw with my goofy problems
I deleted the project and re-published but that didn't work.

The IT Ops folks re-booted the server but that didn't work.

I have entered an internal support ticket for them to look at the caching arrangement as well as the search settings.

Strangely enough, I have access to the web admin portal but only have two options in the Settings area:  Database and Moderation.

rhserversettings.jpg

I will let you know if anything changes as a result of them looking into the caching parameters on the server itself.

Thanks,

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. It looks like you are using Client Side search indexing instead of the default installation. When first installed on the web server, there is an application called Configuration Manager (Unless you are allow to remote desktop onto the server, you will not be able to see this on your computer because it is installed on the server machine's desktop). Ask your web administrator to open this application and see if the "Reindex documents on server" is checked as shown below. When it is, you will see that setting available from the your Web Admin portal.

Important: Is this a new installation? Did the search work previously? Has the admin installed the RoboHelp Server Update 9.0.1 "patch" installed?

If the update does not help, it would probably be best to call Adobe Tech Support and ask for your request to be escalated to a tech support person who is knowledgeable with RoboHelp Server. Be sure to have info ready regarding the Server OS and version and Database type and version, etc.

If you still have difficulties, you may email me at the address in my forum profile.

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

RhServer-ConfigMgr-Reindex.jpg

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Got access to the configuration manager on the server this afternoon.  Verified patch was installed.  Checked the box to re-index documents on the server and rebooted server.

Republished project and it worked!

The search now retrieves the words 'master contract' for all instances.

Thanks again for giving such great direction.

Regards,
Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other side question John, I notice now that sometimes the file name (*.htm) as opposed to the Topic Title displays in the search results.  We use a interesting naming convention for the actual file name that can be confusing to the end user.  For example, ADCreate_New_Supplier is the file name and the topic title is just Create New Supplier.

Suggestions?  I'll be happy to open new question/forum topic but just wondered if with the new index on server setting turned on if there is something I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm.

Your file naming convention should not be a problem. Is there anything out of the ordinary about the topics that bring up search results with ".htm"?

You're sure they have proper "Titles" and not just Headings 1s in the Topic. I've see oddball cases where someone creates a topic for a Captivate video where no Heading is required. That's fine, but if a Title is left out of the properties, then the search results will be the filename however it is written. Searching for words in PDFs or Word docs will bring up search results without titles and simply show the non-html filename. (e.g., BlahBlah.pdf )

I'm grasping. Let me know if any of this applies.

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have found more than 3 dozen topics in which the file name displays rather than the topic title.  I cannot find the common denominator between the files.  I have tried numerous remedies, including:

• Renaming the filename of a problem topic to include the word OLD, such as OLD_ADCreate_New_Supplier
  • Creating a new topic with the desired filename of ADCreate_New_Supplier
  • Cut and pasted the content into the newly created topic
  • Deleted the empty OLD_ADCreate_New_Supplier topic
  • Saved, re-generated and re-published ALL
  • Search results - filename rather than topic name still displays

I then tried the following:

• Removed the prefix from the filename so the topic and the filename are basically the same:  Topic> Create New Supplier   Filename> Create_New_Supplier
  • Search results - well you can't really tell what is displaying in the search results because they are all underlined - so I can't be sure if the filename or topic is showing but my guess is its the filename based on the next test...
  • Returned to Project and added the prefix back onto the filename:  ADCreate_New_Supplier
  • Search results - return the filename

In addition, I have deleted the project from the server, republished.  Rebooted the server.  Tried multiple browsers, cleared cache.  Tried multiple skins, multiple windows.

I think I've given up - my only option might be to remove the prefix from the filename on just the problem topics.

Thanks for your advice John.

Kindest Regards,

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp