RoboHelp 11 (18.104.22.1681) / Windows 7 / 64 Bit /RoboHelp Server 9 / WebHelp Pro
Recently I performed a Find/Replace function in all topics replacing the phrase 'multi-contractor contract' (--silly, I know--) with 'master contract'.
It seems now if I search for master contract, zero results are found. However, if I search for 'multi-contractor', the phrase that was replaced, then it actually finds all the appropriate 'master contract' topics.
I have attempted the following:
Thanks in advance.
First, the reason it works when you view locally is because there is a "locally" generated search index created. That's what you see when you click the View Result button after generating a fresh batch. This is called "client-side" search (because your RoboHelp authoring app is the client). This is what is used for plain WebHelp. When your content is published to the RoboHelp Server, there is a different search engine technology which takes over. This "server-side" search engine re-indexes the content with the newly published project. A couple of things may be happening to cause a delay in seeing the refreshed content.
One thing that might fix it quickly would be to delete the project on the server and republish to make sure the latest is being delivered (of course the caching issue may defeat even this.) So I advise talking to your web administrators to get their take on what I'm suggesting. There may be something unique to your network setup that I haven't covered.
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
It seems you always pull the short straw with my goofy problems .
I deleted the project and re-published but that didn't work.
The IT Ops folks re-booted the server but that didn't work.
I have entered an internal support ticket for them to look at the caching arrangement as well as the search settings.
Strangely enough, I have access to the web admin portal but only have two options in the Settings area: Database and Moderation.
I will let you know if anything changes as a result of them looking into the caching parameters on the server itself.
Hmm. It looks like you are using Client Side search indexing instead of the default installation. When first installed on the web server, there is an application called Configuration Manager (Unless you are allow to remote desktop onto the server, you will not be able to see this on your computer because it is installed on the server machine's desktop). Ask your web administrator to open this application and see if the "Reindex documents on server" is checked as shown below. When it is, you will see that setting available from the your Web Admin portal.
Important: Is this a new installation? Did the search work previously? Has the admin installed the RoboHelp Server Update 9.0.1 "patch" installed?
If the update does not help, it would probably be best to call Adobe Tech Support and ask for your request to be escalated to a tech support person who is knowledgeable with RoboHelp Server. Be sure to have info ready regarding the Server OS and version and Database type and version, etc.
If you still have difficulties, you may email me at the address in my forum profile.
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Got access to the configuration manager on the server this afternoon. Verified patch was installed. Checked the box to re-index documents on the server and rebooted server.
Republished project and it worked!
The search now retrieves the words 'master contract' for all instances.
Thanks again for giving such great direction.
One other side question John, I notice now that sometimes the file name (*.htm) as opposed to the Topic Title displays in the search results. We use a interesting naming convention for the actual file name that can be confusing to the end user. For example, ADCreate_New_Supplier is the file name and the topic title is just Create New Supplier.
Suggestions? I'll be happy to open new question/forum topic but just wondered if with the new index on server setting turned on if there is something I should be looking at?
Your file naming convention should not be a problem. Is there anything out of the ordinary about the topics that bring up search results with ".htm"?
You're sure they have proper "Titles" and not just Headings 1s in the Topic. I've see oddball cases where someone creates a topic for a Captivate video where no Heading is required. That's fine, but if a Title is left out of the properties, then the search results will be the filename however it is written. Searching for words in PDFs or Word docs will bring up search results without titles and simply show the non-html filename. (e.g., BlahBlah.pdf )
I'm grasping. Let me know if any of this applies.
I have found more than 3 dozen topics in which the file name displays rather than the topic title. I cannot find the common denominator between the files. I have tried numerous remedies, including:
I then tried the following:
In addition, I have deleted the project from the server, republished. Rebooted the server. Tried multiple browsers, cleared cache. Tried multiple skins, multiple windows.
I think I've given up - my only option might be to remove the prefix from the filename on just the problem topics.
Thanks for your advice John.