• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders and Image files not appearing in Project Manager Pod

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some images and folder that do not show up in my Project Manager Pod. I believe that the Folder was created outside of Robohelp and the images were added to the folder outside of robohelp. Then the images were inserted into the project. The folder that the images are in does not appear under the Project Files folder. Is there any way to make robohelp "see" this folder and the images within it (without having to go through all of the topics and re-add the images)?

Any assistance will be very appreciated.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folders have to be created in RoboHelp or its internal files don't know about them, as you realise. When you add a folder in RoboHelp, that folder will be within the project structure, I'm not clear from your post whether the folders created using File Explorer are within the project folders, albeit RoboHelp doesn't know about them. Even if it is within the project folders, simply adding a folder now in RoboHelp will not make it see the images.

When they were added to topics, they were put wherever the author put them. I would hazard a guess they are most likely in the root of the project. What you need to do is create a folder in RoboHelp where you want the images and then move them by dragging them within RoboHelp.

The folder and the images that are in File Explorer are not part of your project. What you are seeing, I think, is copies that RoboHelp created when they were originally added to the topics. I would move the folder somewhere else and I think you will see the images in your project will remain. If that is not the case, then there is some missing information.

Post back if that's not clear.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two other things.

1. There are two different views of project manager.

In the first, files and folders will appear similar(ish) to how they appear in Windows Explorer. That is, if an image is in the same folder as a topic, it will display in the Project Files folder with the topic. This view is indicated by the first icon at the top the Project Manager pod displaying a little globe icon. If you are in this view, look for the images in the Project Files folder (following the relative path as in the hyperlink)

Folder_view.png

In the second, files are categorised, so there is a folder that displays topics (html files), another folder that displays images, another for baggage files, etc. The folder structure is duplicated in each category, but only the relevant file type displays. This view is indicated by the first toolbar icon showing glasses. If you are in this view, you need to look for the images in the Images folder.

Category_View.png

2. I have encountered a bug with some images and stylesheets that are used in the project are not displayed after the cpd file has been deleted and the project reopened (there is also an automatic setting called 'Clear project cache before opening a project' which does this). It doesn't affect all projects and I haven't been able to figure out what causes it.

A simple fix in this case is to create a new folder in Robohelp. It doesn't matter where or what it's called. This will force Robohelp to refresh the file list and display the missing images or stylesheets. The folder can then be deleted.

One caution is if you use source control, where you can end up with a whole bunch of un-needed folders and/or conflicts in source control - you need to make sure you also delete from source control correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amber's post has reminded me of a similar issue. You can have a folder within the RoboHelp folders as seen in File Explorer that did show in Project Manager but then disappears. If you then manually add that folder back in to Project Manager, suddenly the images will also get added back in if they were part of the project. In this case you need to add the folder in the same structure as it is a bit different to what Amber describes.

You will know if this has happened if you cannot find the images in Project Manager but they are showing in the topics.

It's a problem that used to occur but still worth checking. It tended to happen more with folders that only contained images and it helped to have one topic in that folder, even if you then tagged it to exclude it from any output.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick responses.

I tested this in a new project. I added a folder with images to the project folder using windows explorer. Then that image was added to a topic. That image and folder didn't show up in the project folder. I added a folder with the same name to the project from within robohelp, and the image automatically appeared in the folder. 

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture4.png

Picture6.png

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool that you solved it.

I would have guessed that you would have hit a major roadblock when you attempted to create the folder inside RoboHelp. I say this because when you create folders inside RoboHelp, you are also creating them in the operating system too. Since the Images folder already existed, I would have expected to have seen RoboHelp issue a warning of some sort saying the folder cannot be created because it already exists. Looks like the dev team may have elegantly worked past that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the folder is one that RoboHelp had just lost track of, I have found it will recreate it. If it never knew about it, that's another matter and like Rick I am surprised this worked.

Has it solved the problem in your original project as well?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it again to be sure and no warning message came up when I added the folder. Robohelp added the folder and automatically showed the image inside the folder. I haven't had a chance to try this in my original project yet. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK. Let us know if it works when you do try it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp