Highlighted

Folders Taking A Very Long Time to Create (RoboHelp 11/TFS 2012)

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to create a new folder in RoboHelp (or rename one, or do something which creates a folder, like adding a new single source layout), RoboHelp takes a VERY long time to create it (over an hour, often much longer). In the notification bar at the bottom of the screen, for that hour, I'll see rotating messages reading "Getting latest Versions of Field(s)", "Building File List", and (very briefly), "Querying Version Control Status". Again, this will be for at least an hour, often much more.

This has only seems to happen with the project connected to TFS.

I'm wondering why this could be, and what I could do to stop this.

Using

• RoboHelp 11
  • TFS 2012

Thanks in advance.

Topics

Source control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Folders Taking A Very Long Time to Create (RoboHelp 11/TFS 2012)

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to create a new folder in RoboHelp (or rename one, or do something which creates a folder, like adding a new single source layout), RoboHelp takes a VERY long time to create it (over an hour, often much longer). In the notification bar at the bottom of the screen, for that hour, I'll see rotating messages reading "Getting latest Versions of Field(s)", "Building File List", and (very briefly), "Querying Version Control Status". Again, this will be for at least an hour, often much more.

This has only seems to happen with the project connected to TFS.

I'm wondering why this could be, and what I could do to stop this.

Using

• RoboHelp 11
  • TFS 2012

Thanks in advance.

Topics

Source control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
GnorbX LATEST
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think I figured out why it's happening, but not how to stop it, or why it does it.

So in this project (which I inherited), most of the topics live in the main project directory. However, all their images are kept in folders:

~/Project/

~/Project/Topic1.htm

~/Project/Topic1_files/filelist.xml

~/Project/Topic1_files/Topic1.fpj

~/Project/Topic1_files/image1.jpg

~/Project/Topic1_files/image2.jpg

There are approximately 1000 folders. (Not every topic has a folder because not every topic has images.)

Every time I add a new folder, I believe RoboHelp is querying the status of that filelist.xml file in every one of those folders. Note that not every folder has a topiclist.xml file. The previous owners of this help file had a nasty habit of importing stuff directly from Word. It's only these topics which are affected. Unfortunately, these still number in the hundreds.

Here are the contents of one of those folders:

<xml xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">

<o:MainFile HRef="../Report.htm"/>

<o:File HRef="themedata.thmx"/>

<o:File HRef="colorschememapping.xml"/>

<o:File HRef="image001.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="image015.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="image003.png"/>

<o:File HRef="image016.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="image005.png"/>

<o:File HRef="image017.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="image007.png"/>

<o:File HRef="image018.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="image009.png"/>

<o:File HRef="image019.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="image011.png"/>

<o:File HRef="image020.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="image013.png"/>

<o:File HRef="image021.jpg"/>

<o:File HRef="filelist.xml"/>

</xml>

(Side note: This explains an odd little behavior I've seen: when I create a copy of an HTML file of one of these outside the project folder, the associated images folder comes along.)

From where I stand, it seems the only way to fix this is to somehow divorce these topics, but how to do it enmasse? I don't know. I don't know if it's even possible.

Any advice is welcome. I'll continue updating this topic, in the hopes it's of some use to someone in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines