• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formatting Cross Reference from Linked FrameMaker Document (RH11/FM12)

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using TCS 5 (RoboHelp 11 / FrameMaker 12). FrameMaker is unstructured. I am a new RH user, still getting my feet wet.

I have RoboHelp linked to a FrameMaker book. The book contains internal cross-references (to other topics that are part of the RH project) and external cross-references (to topics in other FM books that are not part of the RH project). I mapped the FM cross-reference formats to RH styles to remove page and chapter numbers.

After I generate the help (.CHM or HTML5), the internal cross-references work and they are formatted correctly. But the external cross-references, which are broken links, exhibit these characteristics:

• They do not appear in the mapped style; the chapter and page numbers still appear.
  • They appear as text that is formatted to resemble a hyperlink (<a><span class="FM_HypertextColor">Chapter 16, Demographic Forms</span></a>&#160;in <span class="FM_Italic">Master Forms Guide</span>.

(Note: Before I generate the help, RH recognizes the external x-refs as broken links. They do not appear under Broken Links in the RH project, but when I open a topic and press CTRL + hover the mouse pointer over them, they display the broken link finger icon).

I'm trying to figure out how to get RH to 1) format the broken links correctly (remove chapter and page #), and 2) display them as plain text instead of HypertextColor.

Suggestions or voice of experience from anyone? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are the external references done in FM? Are you using the hyperlink paragraph tag to link to them or a cross-reference tag? You might have some control over how they are coming across depending on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are cross references in FM formatted as (for example):

• <Hypertext Color><$paranum[Chap No, Chap No cont., Appendix Head, chap.num, chap.num continued, appendix head]>, <$paratext><Default ¶ Font>
  • <Hypertext Color><$paratext><Default ¶ Font> on page <Hypertext Color><$pagenum><Default ¶ Font>

In RH Conversion Settings, the two examples above appear in FM Style Preview as:

• <$paranum[Chap No, Chap No cont., Appendix Head, chap.num, chap.num continued, appendix head]>, Para Text
  • Para Text on page 1

Both are being converted to RH style Para Text (<$paratext>).

The cross-references formats are applied consistently in FM. The ones that are internal to the linked FM book in the RH project convert correctly in both the RH topic and the generated help; the external ones do not.

Here's an internal cross-reference converted in RH from the FM chapter number format:

Here's an external link using the same FM format that did not convert in RH:

Here's an internal cross-reference converted in RH from the FM page number format:

Here's an external link using the same FM format that did not convert in RH (pixelated intentionally):

Thanks, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send a shot of your Conversion Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I assumed correctly that these are the Conversion Settings you want to see.

Conversion settings for chapter number cross reference:

Conversion settings for page number cross reference:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I was more interested in the left side of the screen & what’s below the images you’ve posted. Just put focus on the element in the left pane and snap the whole screen; repeat for the other element that’s working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Both elements format correctly when the cross-reference is internal to the linked FM book. Both elements fail to format correctly when the cross-reference is external to the book. Here are the full screen captures.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm – what do you mean when you say “external to the book” – what are you cross-referencing to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm cross-referencing to a page in another FM book. When I use FM to publish a collection of books in PDF format, users can click the cross-references to jump from book to book. Help isn't aggregated into a similar collection; help is generated for each FM book individually. So when I generate help, cross-references to another FM book need to be text only (which they are). However, I want RH to format those references without chapter and page, and I want them not to be hypertext-colored. Those are the issues where I'm stumped.

Our discussion in this thread has been primarily about the conversion settings. RH recognizes the cross-references, but for the "broken" ones, it ignores my chapter and page conversion settings. If there's not a workaround, I'll have to accept that as a bug or by design.

We haven't discussed if there's a way to tell RH not to display broken links in hypertext color. Do you have any ideas about that?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would a book of books be a help? You then link/import the book of books as opposed to individual books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, William, for your suggestion. I still need to generate each book as its own help file, and I don't think I can do that if I link them all into one big project. But I ran a quick test just to see if it would work. I was surprised to see that it didn't. The cross references to other FM books did not map to the correct format.

It was a quick test, and I may have done something wrong. When I have time to work on this again, I'll revisit the idea to see if I can figure out why that didn't work.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The master book of books concept works fine - provided you keep your total length of path + filename to the references under about 35 characters. I discovered that the hard way when I found that some xrefs worked & others didn't all within the same document. When I shortened the paths, it fixed the busted xrefs over in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp