• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formatting Issues - RH2017 - When previewing an item

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with my style sheet and the bullets, 1 through 4 not showing on the preview button properly.  On my work space the bullets look fantastic and spaced properly as shown below:

However, when I preview the topic, the spacing is correct, however, the bullets are not:

Does anyone know how to correct this so when I publish my topics to our intranet, the bullets don't look like this?  I am at a loss as to why it looks like this.  Again I am using RH 2017.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the wacky wonderful world of inconsistencies in CSS!

Basically, you need to spend time in what I call the "CSS Loop". Meaning, you tweak things and test in all the different browsers.

I've always called the RoboHelp Preview "RoboHelp's best guess" at how things will look. Because it's just one possible view of what your end user may see. You won't know for sure until you generate and test in different browsers. And each browser will likely have its own little quirks.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Rick, however, can you tell me where I would need to "tweak things"?  I wouldn't go to the Formatting pod, as the bullets are spaced correctly, so where would I go to make the tweaks?  BTW, we here use IE 11 to view the topics once published to our intranet.

Thanks again!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, you're playing with the CSS that's applied to the output files - tweak & witness the effect in your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for info Jeff, but I have checked the CSS and it all looks correct.  It is the exact same info as shown in the formatting pod within RH 2017.  So are you saying to still start playing with the spacing of the bullets in the CSS even though they are identical to the formatting pod?

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd check one of the offending output topics and take a look at the HTML - I found a bug a few versions back that showed 2 CSS file references in the header of my topics - the second CSS was the one that was followed, even though I had it correct in the first one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If two CSS files are specified, the logic is that anything in the second one adds to what is in the first one. So if <p> is defined in the first as red normal weight and in the second as bold, you will get red bold.

Anything in the first applies where not overridden in the second one.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, according to CSS How to - "If some properties have been defined for the same selector (element) in different style sheets, the value from the last read style sheet will be used." - which is what I experienced; I imagine they would have been additive if I had different elements in each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I meant by saying if

had red and normal weight defined but

the second css said just bold, red would still apply but bold would

override normal weight.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If the second css also had italic, you would get red bold italic.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you gentlemen for all the information.  I have looked at everything all of you stated to look at and it all looks correct to me.  Interesting thing is that I had no issue when I was using RH10.  I will keep hunting.  We haven't officially rolled over to RH 2017 so I have some time to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us screenshots of the HTML of the offending bullet line & the corresponding entry in the CSS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff....I would be happy to show you, however, where would you go in the CSS to see HTML code?  All I see if the actual details of the bullet....Fonts...Indent...Spacing..etc.  However, it is not in HTML code.  So is that what you want.  the HTML Code form the topic and a screenshot of the formatting of the bullet itself?  If not, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thinking more of the HTML in the output topic for the bullet (to see the tag applied to it) and the section in the referenced CSS in Notepad where that tag is defined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp