• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frameless output search performance - successful solutions?

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Our support team has reported numerous search performance issues with the search performance in generated Frameless output. The issues reported by them are:

1. Enter a search term OR pick a suggested search term from predictive text
  2. Click the find icon to start the search
  3. Wait for the search to execute
  4. Search takes a very long time to return results (120+ seconds) OR the browser returns a "Not Responding" error and prompts the user to reload the page

The issues occur across browsers and OS's. We've received reports on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge, all on the latest versions.

I have reviewed the two existing threads detailing similar performance issues:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/frameless-search-performance-issue/m-p/10863150

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/home-page-search-stopped-working/m-p/10948361 

However, the solution there seems to be "update to the latest version of RoboHelp and regenerate the output". This has not so far resolved the issue, as the performance issues persist. 

What specific steps after updating Robohelp have people done to succesfully address the issues? I would appreciate any guidance. If I need to recreate the project from scratch to force a reindex, so be it, but I am hoping for a different solution

Additional details:

• Robohelp version: 2020.3.32
  • Search performance is markedly improved on local files, but will crash the browser when on a web server
  • Review in Chrome Devtools shows that some files spend a long time waiting for download
  • Search for the search term in the output files via Notepad++ shows that problematic search terms are present in files more than the 25-30 occurrence threshold reported in the linked threads
  • Asian languages seem disproportionately affected, but this may be due to higher usage of the localized help content in the APAC region
TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help with most of your points, but for the search results, I think that currently Number of results on a page limits total search results to that number and doesn't provide paging. So if it's set to 20, you'll only get 20 search results regardless of how many instances are in your help. I think it's been reported, but I can't seem to find a relevant ticket in the bug tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have referred this to an Adobe contact and they have asked that you try generating with the Include Index check box deselected. If your project has a large index that will improve the performance.

If that is the result then some changes in Update 4 will fix the underlying issue. You can beta test that on a non-production machine if you like. To do that just ask here and Adobe will send you a private message.

If turning off the index does not help, Adobe have offered to investigate if you can share the project with them. Again indicate that is what you would like here and they will send a private message.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Amebr Thank you for the response. I have noticed the hard limit of 20 results regardless of instances. Very happy to know that there is a bug reported for that already.

@Peter Grainge Thank you for the additional details. The Include Index checkbox is disabled already for the current output. I would very much appreciate if I could share the project with Adobe for further investigation. Thank you very much, and look forward to the private message from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp