• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated output has no TOC, index or Search in IE11, doesn't appear in Chrome, works fine in Firefox

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

This is an old and working HTML project. I published it yesterday, it has been revised and now, when I'm doing my changes and I generate locally to see the changes by clicking View Result, it launches IE by default with nothing in the TOC/Index/Search area, although the contents of the index.htm appear. There is an error window titled Message from webpage that says Error reading masterData.xml. The only file I see in the generated output that starts masterData is MasterData_xml.js.

Only thing that is different about this morning versus other mornings: my machine rebooted overnight with RH and the project open. I had saved all my work though so that at least is ok!

Anyone have any ideas for me? It's a merged project that is currently working where it is published, but I need to make changes pretty quickly!

Thanks,

TatuMbili

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, as it says in the title, when I launch in Chrome, nothing happens, nothing opens. Launched in Firefox, it works like a charm!!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some version numbers would help. Versions of Rh and the browsers.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 10, IE11, Chrome 43.0.2357.130 m and Firefox 33.1.1. I've been using IE and in fact, have the published version working on it right now, it's just when I open the changed locally generated version I get the errors.

If it helps any, the breadcrumbs aren't working either, not hyperlinked and they don't have a Home link.

Thanks.

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your output, is there a masterData_js.xml present or is it missing? Where do you see the error? In a popup or somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a  MasterData_xml.js file but not masterData.xml as referred to in the popup error window nor is there masterData_js.xml that you asked for.

I came across this posting which seemed on point: RH 10 generating webhelp viewing with IE11 - Error reading masterData.xml so I regenerated without MOTW, I had a TOC, then I clicked on the Allow blocked content at the bottom, error popped up again and the TOC disappeared. I had been able to navigate through the TOC before I clicked on the blocked content message.

I've also done this: RoboHelp output issues | IE 11 and re-installed the .js files. No change. Then I unticked MOTW and regenerated again, it works but you get that stupid message to Allow Blocked Content at the bottom, but only on the first page. I don't want the message: does all this help with any suggestions?

Thanks!

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Allow Blocked Content' message is to be expected when you open the help locally with Internet Explorer. As soon as you post the content on a web server, you won't get this issue. You'll simply have to live with this for local help.

Does the JS fix fix the original error? I'm not entirely clear on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the JS fix did not fix the error. As far as I can see, it was the unticked MOTW which did the trick. I'm not really happy with not using MOTW and don't understand why it would have worked before when it was ticked and now it doesn't. I haven't made any change in RH that should have done it, just content changes. I know my computer did a company-generated update the previous night, maybe it's just my settings somewhere.

BTW, when published to the web server, everything works properly, including Chrome. I still can't launch the local generated product in Chrome but I guess that's another question.

Thanks!

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There were a number of fixes issued for RH10 to get around browser security issues – check out Willam’s site for a summary of patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp