Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary Definitions for Specific Topics

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to have the glossary display certain words for different topics. For example, If I have topics 1, 2, and 3 down below:ts1.png

I want to be able to separate the glossary terms based on the topic I am looking at. ts2.png

So right now all of the terms display for each topic, but what I would like to see for example. If a user clicks on topic 1, they only see the term for FTP, if the user clicks on topic 2, they only see the term for Javascript, etc. Now the only way I know how to do this is to create separate TOC's and glossaries for each topic, but let's say I have 100 topics that would mean I would need 100 glossaries and 100 TOC's. So is there any way to achieve this with 1 TOC and 1 Glossary? This is all done in Robohelp 2017.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can do that but what you can do is link those terms in the topic so that when the user clicks them, the see the glossary term.

You can drag the glossary term to the term in the topic or there is a script. Back up your project before you run that in case you are not happy with the result.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

In my own view, the way Peter suggested is the best approach. Making the terms clickable. Otherwise, the user has to hope the help author defined an unfamiliar term and defined it. There's nothing quite as good as having that term become a hotspot so the user doesn't even have to leave the topic. Boom, it's right there!

If you use the drag from the Glossary and drop or the Glossary Hotspot Wizard, the added bonus is that if you ever choose to modify the glossary definition, it auto-updates for any or all the hotspots that exist!

The only real down side that I see with this approach is that using the RoboHelp glossary kind of boxes you into a corner. The definition can only ever be unformatted text. You can't emphasize words by making them bold. You can't have images. You can't have hyperlinks.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp