• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble upgrading from classic

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a HUGE project that I've been editing in RH 2019 Classic (though it has been developled over MANY years). But now our IT guys say I need to upgrade it to regular(?) RH 2019. I've let it run overnight twice, and it still only makes it through about 10%. It looks like it's hung, and it's still using almost 18% of my CPU.

I have no idea what to do. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "regular" I take it you mean the New UI.

1. Is the project local?
  2. Define huge. You may be right but so many times I have heard that and back comes the answer that is has a thousand topics, not huge. Number of topics and number of images is more useful.
  3. Are a lot of the topics and images in the root of the project or are they mostly in folders?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Is the project local?
    • Yes. I was running it a network drive, but I copied it to my C: drive to do the upgrade.
  2. Define huge. You may be right but so many times I have heard that and back comes the answer that is has a thousand topics, not huge. Number of topics and number of images is more useful.
    • Ok, so not huge by your standards.  About 700 topics. I don't know how many images there are (I recently took over the project), but I would say it's very "image lite." The whole directory is about 380 MB (screenshot below).
  3. Are a lot of the topics and images in the root of the project or are they mostly in folders?
    • All the topics, images, PDFs, and video files are in the same directory as the project file. The only folders in the project are in the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.32.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.28.18 AM.png

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. First back up your Classic project somewhere safe.
  2. In Classic, move the topics to a number of folders.
  3. Close the project and try upgrading again.

There is a known issue with large numbers of topics and images in the root of the project when upgrading. If you don't want to do that, there is an update due soon and I believe that will have the fix in it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll give that a try. What is the maximum number of topics I should have in a folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a maximum specified, the issue is having them in the root. Try with say 100 but that's a random number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I have to move them into folders inside the app? There's no multi-select option, and it's going to take a LONG time to move them one by one. It would be far easier to just move the files directly; I'm just not sure that's ok to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go ahead in Explorer if you want to totally wreck your project. My recommendation is to explain the problem to IT and get them to agree to wait for the next update. That will automatically move everything without wrecking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can move topics in bulk using the Topic List pod. have it floating and you can drag and drop topics onto the folders you create in the Project Manager pod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL. So used the New UI I had forgotten that one. Thanks Amber.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp