• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help file opening to Search rather than Contents in left pane

New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am using RoboHelp 10 and generating WebHelp. I am using traditional/no skin, and I am including toolbar buttons for a TOC and Search. My understanding is that the help should display the Contents in the left pane when you open it (I don't have the option to reorder the buttons with no skin), but it is opening to the Search in the left pane instead. I have had my client clear his browser cache, but the file still opens to the Search (see pic below). Any ideas?

I apologize...I know that this question has been posted before, but I could not find it. Hoping that someone who wants some points (or just wants to help out!) will respond. Thanks so much!

image003.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

From RoboHelp, look at the properties for your Single Source Layout recipe. Once the properties are open, click the Navigation section on the left and look at the options on the right. They likely resemble the image below:

tmp1.png

If so, click to select the TOC, then click the Set As Default button. Generate again and you should be set!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Thank you for responding! unfortunately I don't get those buttons, but my understanding is that the default should be the contents, then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, I failed to notice you said you were not using a skin.

Can you share a screen capture of what your dialog looks like?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Here is the settings, navigation dialog...

robohelp nav dialog.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have generated with several settings and cannot recreate the problem, the output always opens to the TOC.

Is this only happening at one client's site and is it happening on all machines or just one? Explore along those lines.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks so much for your response! I generated the help file again, and it worked for my client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now there is an issue with the search not displaying right. Here's how it looks:

ppm search issue.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Remember that dialog you shared earlier in the thread? Try changing that option labeled "Preferred Format". The dialog shows "Pure HTML". Switch to the DHTML > Pure HTML setting and you should be fixed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! But...I generated in DHTML because I have some elements in some topics that require DHTML. I think collapsible screen shots? Maybe other things? Anyway, can I have it both ways? Why does the Search not work for DHTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm not sure I understand your rationale here. Perhaps an explanation will help.

That option I pointed out simply governs how RoboHelp deals with the items showing in the Navigation pane of the WebHelp. With the DHTML > Pure HTML option, JavaScript code sniffs the browsing environment and tries to determine if DHTML is possible. And if it is, you end up seeing the field where you type. But if not, it presents the next best alternative. The letters you click.

Really, the only reason one would want to choose the "Pure HTML" option would be if they were in a closed environment where things were locked down so tight that DHTML was impossible.

This option has no bearing whatsoever on DHTML drop-downs used in topic content.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...apparently when I generated last I had changed to Pure HTML, and the Search still does not work. Any other ideas why? I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I thought I'd share a screen print of my Search options, in case I have any odd selections. If you have any additional input or feedback, I'd really appreciate it! My client is chomping at the bit to get the help distributed.

RoboHelp Search Options Screen Print.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I know several years back in another lifetime, I found myself having to reinstall something called the "XML Parser". And I believe I recently saw a thread here in the forums where this was also the fix for a broken search.

So perhaps head over to How to install Microsoft XML Parser and Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) and follow the steps there. Then re-generate your help and see if search begins working again.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thank you for staying with me on this. I have Windows 8, and it looks like this is for much older versions of Windows(?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! Just to update you...I have been working with Adobe Tech Support all afternoon, and the tech support person finally fixed the problem by creating a new single source layout. He did not check my old SSL settings, so I don't know what was set wrong. I did notice that the new SSL has DHTML selected(?) Anyway, thank you so much for your advice. There are a few of you in this community who clearly have been using RoboHelp for years and know every nook and cranny, and I'm so grateful for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp